• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CC won't save my files

Jun 25, 2013 Jun 25, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I've been working in InDesign for a week now and since yesterday I started noticing that at times InDesign won't undo and I am not able to save my file. I keep hitting command + s while working but it just doesn't save or give an error message. If I go on the File menu all the save and save as commands are grayed out. If you close the file and click on the save button InDesign just gives a message that the file cannot be saved. I have to close the file without saving and redo all the work. Because InDesign doesn't give an error when pressing command + s I would do a lot of work under the impression everything gets saved but it doesn't and I keep losing a lot of work.

Also CC runs very slow. There are times when the program just "freezes" for awhile while InDesign does somethings in the background and only after it is done you can start working again. The pages panel takes ages to load the previews onto the pages and while it is doing so I cannot do anything at all.

Starting to think I should have stayed with CS6.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 249 Replies 249
Participant ,
Feb 21, 2014 Feb 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jennigma,

The rotate wierdness was related to Wacom incompatability for most of my Indd issues. What worked best for me was to go into the Wacom settings (in system preferences) and completely disable all the touch functions on the tablet. Make sure to turn off everything except the stylus and see if that works. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have done, but it's taking some work to get used to mousing with one hand and using a stylus for the other.

I cringe at the thought of a full reinstall on this system. It was re-built less than a year ago. It took almost a week to get all the aps back in touch with their files, and I was still finding issues months later.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After putting up with this issue for several months I finally decided to do a wipe and clean on my MacPro. It was getting to be time for that anyway. I am happy to report that after a clean install of the mavericks OS and Creative Cloud....I have no issues at all with InDesign.

I think that Creative Cloud does not do well with upgrades from CS6 etc.

Good luck to everyone dealing with this issue....I'm over and out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2014 May 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have had this problem on and off for about 6 months. As many have said, it's frustrating and time-consuming, and causes lost wages. I called Adobe tech support about it two months ago. The person in India with whom I spoke said, "You cannot use Extensis products with Adobe CC. We do not recommend this. Turn off Suitcase fusion and don't use it."

I wonder if Extensis is aware that Adobe's suggestion is to phase out their product? I just lost three more hours of work this morning, and wish the problem would be resolved. InDesign was a miraculously good product until this issue cropped up. I've rarely had any problems with it. But I haven't had any problems with Fusion either.

Any news on Adobe resolving this issue? The IDML fix isn't going to work in the long term.

Running OS 10.9.2, Adobe CC yearly subscription, Suitcase Fusion 5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2014 Jun 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To anyone who's using Suitcase Fusion 5 and is affected by this issue, we just released version 16.2.1 which addresses the it. You'll find links to the Mac and Windows installers here:

http://www.extensis.com/support/product-support/suitcase-fusion-5/

Thank you for your patience!

Romeo Fahl

Extensis Technical Support

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We are using Universal Type client. Version Version 4.0.2 (63). All on Macs running OSX 10.8.5. I have yet to see a solid answer or solution to this issue. The thing is it totally kills workflow and sometimes makes us redo work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 01, 2014 Jul 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ezwind70, this issue was addressed in UTS 4.1. You can get the latest installers here: Universal Type Server 4 | Support | Extensis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2014 May 30, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have noticed that the issue appears to be with CS6 original files. I have not had issue with brand new InDesign CC files. It shows up after I export a PDF in those old files. (they have been converted. I also run extensis, and turning off auto activation seems to be helping.

I have gone the Idml route it does not work. Also save as.

Also interesting to note, I can save and and sometimes undo up until the point where I export out a PDF. Then no saving ability or undo. It really bothers me there seems to be not much effort put in to resolving this issue. It is a critical issue when I can't save or undo. Any help or insight with this Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 09, 2014 Jun 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have had this problem (inDesign not able to save or undo) when using InDesign along with Extensis Universal Type Server (or Suitcase) - Basically the root of the problem is with Microsoft Fonts in the Library (the ones installed automatically when you install MS Office).

The solution we found was to remove these fonts from the local drive and create a font set on the Universal Type Server to manage the MS fonts.

Here's how:

1. Go to: Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts/Microsoft

2. copy the entire folder to: Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts Disabled (just in case you need them later)

3. also copy the entire folder to wherever you keep your managed fonts (i.e. not system or local fonts) - we use a network location, but you may have a local folder if you're not running a network type server (i.e. suitcase).

4. Then delete the original "Microsoft" folder from: Macintosh HD/Library/Fonts

You'll need your admin password to authenticate this. Don't worry, you have a backup in Fonts Disabled!

5. Create a new set in Extensis UTC/Suitcase and drag the Microsift Fonts in from your font library (Not the Fonts Disabled folder - i mean wherever you keep your managed fonts)

6. Permanently Enable all fonts within the set.

7. Restart your machine.

This instantly fixed the issue for us!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 02, 2014 Jul 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just installed the update to Suitcase (16.2.1) and still had the same unable to save issue. I am now rebuilding the document from scratch as i have to replace almost all the linked files anyway. So far the problem has not appeared on the new document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2014 Sep 27, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may have a solution.  It worked for me on the Windows side, but YMMV (Your mileage may vary).  Although I go through the steps I took to try and fix this, make sure you read to the bottom to find the easy solution that made the rest of this unnecessary...

I was about to pull my remaining hair out with InDesign CC on Windows 8.1.  It wouldn't save or export anything.  I'd tried uninstalling and reinstalling CS6, CC, and CC 2014, deleting preferences (ctrl-alt-shift at startup), running the adobe CC cleaner, disabling sync, manually deleting every folder related to InDesign, deleting temp files, etc. without a resolution.  It didn't matter if I even started with a blank document.

I went into my Creative Cloud settings and disabled Sync settings there.  I also went online here and deleted InDesign settings:  https://creative.adobe.com/appsettings

I used the Adobe CC cleaner to get rid of all instances of InDesign (some versions can also be abbreviated as "ID" in this tool):

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cs5-cleaner-tool-installation-problems/_jcr_content/main-pa...

Then, I installed the old version, InDesign CS6, from Creative Cloud.  I made sure I could save and export from it first.  I also ran the extension manager, just in case, to initialize everything.

After a bit I tried to open existing InDesign documents by double clicking on them.  This method of opening the documents showed the original problem had come back.  I tried opening InDesign from the Windows Start Menu, and couldn't save that way either.  Oddly enough, InDesign CS6 still could save.  That got me thinking about what was different.

The simple solution for me with InDesign CC on Windows was to right click on the InDesign CC launch icons, select properties, click the compatibility tab, click the "Change settings for all users" button, check off the "Run this program as administrator" box, and click OK.  That tells me that the saving problem I've had is clearly a permissions issue with how InDesign CC is installing in Windows 8.1 x64. 

I'm not going to mess with this further, since it's now working even after rebooting, updating, etc., but perhaps someone else having saving issues in Windows could try the simple "run as administrator" solution on their existing installation to see if that fixes the problem without going through all the other stuff I did above.  Please post your results here!

Ed

(Link modified by the Moderator ^VS)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2014 Oct 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same unable-to-save issue. No Suitcase or any other font managers installed besides Apple's standard Font Book. Using a Wacom Intuos Tablet, but that's the only mod on any of the hardware or software. Running the latest InDesignCC version as of today (10.0.0.70), and all other CC apps are up to date as well on my Mac (running latest v. of Mavericks). Thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning off the rotate gesture on the Wacom tablet, and using touch gestures as sparingly as possible, solved the problem for me. I try to use the tablet for pen work and a track pad for mouse work, and that has been going pretty well. It's been the better part of a year since I've had the issue.

Would be nice if Wacom and Adobe could get it together and play nice with each other, but this seems to be a functional workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ll give that a try!

alan bucknam

notchcode creative

graphic design, visual identity, and what-not

3300 ingalls st.

wheat ridge, co 80033-7432

alan@notchcode.com

tel. 303.351.1717

twitter: http://twitter.com/bucknam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 28, 2014 Nov 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just encountered the same problem today (typically on a day when I have to get the artwork to print by the end of the day!). I haven't read all the replies but this seems to be a Wacom problem (I'm using an Intuos5 Touch) so will try turning off all the gestures – many thanks all.

PS – Using a new Mac Pro, Mavericks and InDesign CS6

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2014 Dec 01, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We upgraded our Type server software and that worked for us. I have not seen this issue rear its ugly head since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2016 Mar 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same issue, and found a solution. But first, the problem:

I think it was because I was working on the document at home, closed my laptop (putting it to sleep), then went to my client's office, opened it up (waking it up & disrupting it's internet connection) then started working on it again. I didn't realize it wasn't saving until I realized I couldn't undo. I thought of one solution: force quite InDesign and let the recovery files restore my progress. Always the careful rebel, I checked the file timestamps within finder (both my scratch disk's data, working documents and the crash recovery files) and noticed that while some of the files had time stamps of being last modified 30 minutes prior, my crash recovery files' time stamps were roughly the time I closed the laptop lid at my house and put the computer to sleep. So no go on the recovery files. But there is hope!

Instead of saving, or force quitting for a restart, export an IDML file. You can't save, but you can export, and IDML will work just fine as a bridge to salvage all your hard work. Export, close out InDesign, open all your chapters/documents/whathavyou as the IDML versions, then save-as to the same name INDD. Your book master should not ever know the difference, though you may have to update it from being "saved outside book."

Finally, go pat yourself on the back and catch your breath with a piping hot coffee. And bring me one, too. Preferably Irished

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had same issue. The only thing I could do was export as an .idml file, then I could open that idml file and save it. I restarted InDesign after that. Not sure if the file became corrupt or if it was a font issue, but at least I was able to save the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2016 Nov 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issue using windows 10,  Cant save a simple document!  Cant even save one line of text, no undo.   Seriously?  I basicly paid for the complete creative cloud for mainly this application..  Sort it out Adobe!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 05, 2016 Dec 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried to package it, to create another file and save all of my links and fonts. There was an error and it completely shut down. I restarted it, and a pop up asked if I wanted to reopen the files that were open during the error. I did that, and everything was there..Just saved another copy in case after that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2017 Aug 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same problem for several weeks, and knew it had some correlation to my Wacom tablet.  Just today I realized that my settings for the tablet in system preferences had been adjusted for "All Other" but that I hadn't actually disabled all the functionality for InDesign.  Seems silly enough, but I haven't had the graying out of "undo" and "save" all day since I adjusted it, which is the first.

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.59.04 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac go to:

/Users/Your Username/Library/Saved Application State

or

~/Library/Saved Application State

and delete the folder named: "com.adobe.InDesign.savedState"

Restart. This fixed it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2018 Mar 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@dvdelle This fixed it for me, too. The problem came out of nowhere after some months of using CC. I use a Wacom but apparently it had nothing to do with it Thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2018 Aug 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aug 2018 Windows 10 and this issue is still persistent. If you use Bridge you're screwed. Just uninstall this glitch program.
Save as IDML otherwise your working hours is unpaid.

Unable to save, create a HUGE discomfort.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this old discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines