• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Constantly Crashing and freezing on MAC

New Here ,
Apr 27, 2018 Apr 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The past month my indesign keeps freezing or beach balling in the middle of working. I am not working in large file, or in any other programs while working in indesign. But it keeps doing it, Im currently in a file and just trying to move a content box is frustrating, every time I move one it freezes and beach balls... help..

{Renamed by MOD}

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign and what operating system are you working with?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MacOS High Sierra verson 10.13.4

Adobe InDesign CC 18, 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2023 Feb 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You keep asking everyone which version they are using. One might think you have the splution for different variations and combinations of operating system and InDesign version, but then there is never an answer. So what does it matter what version, it should run smoothly.
If you don't have the answer for any version, don't pretend as if you would. Just becasue they told you to do so in your 30 minutes online tutorial. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2018 Apr 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues, on the same OS and software version. But even though my file might be considered big, InDesign shouldn't crash and burn when I move an image on the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What might YOU consider big?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, right now the file is at 78 MB and it's only a quarter of the way finished. Based on the book I did last year that was four pages smaller, that book was 239 MB. It's an awards book, with 35 categories and 455 placed pdf files.

Do you think that's large or small? I don't remember having these problems last year with that book. I used an empty version of last year's book as a template, and deleted the image files before I began.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2018 May 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m working on an IMAC (late 2014) running OS 10.13.4.

INDESIGN KEEPS CRASHING!@#$#!!!!!

I’m finding that this new version, as well as the one which preceded it, are very slow to process “saving” or “re-saving” files.

I have a feeling that the newest software is getting quite bloated with code:  InDesign seems to get very confused if I work too quickly, ultimately resulting in my FORCE-QUITTING the program.  The mouse just freezes and sometimes different tools seem to appear, as well as tooltips.  This type of thing has never happened before, just with the NEWEST version.

I have much worry about files becoming corrupted. Some of my files are very complicated and the prospect of having to re-create anything is daunting.

It was never this bad!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If when you installed InDesign you checked "Keep previous settings and preferences" in the Advanced options that appear during the install then that could be the source of your problem. Please see CC 2018 InDesign—Don't Import previous settings and preferences for more information and how to deal with the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANKS, Bill!!  I'll check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2019 Apr 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have the same InDesign 14.0.2 on OS High Sierra, MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Intel Core i7, 16Gb RAM working off the SDD. 2pp document with two images and a load of text, just keeps beachballing for 10/20 seconds... really unproductive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2019 Jul 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now having the same issue using a new 2019 MacBook Pro, 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9 with 32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4, running Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5. I'm on deadline with a magazine and have been able to get through only a few pages because of all the hangs, crashes and delays. I've tried trashing prefs and all the other recommended fixes without any luck. I have 32GB of memory, so this BS with InDesign shouldn't be happening. I've tried reverting to the 2018 version of InDesign, but it isn't performing much better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jul 25, 2019 Jul 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diana,

Sorry about the delay. I am hopeful that the issue was fixed. If not, I would request if you can share a few more details like:

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? You can upload it to the creative cloud and share the download link.
  • Is it happening while using any specific Tool/Panel?
  • Where the files are saved (Network Drive/ System HDD/ Shared Folder on System /External HDD)?
  • When did this start happening? Are there any recent changes made to your system? For example, any antivirus, system updates or web extensions installed recently.

Feel free to let us know if you still need assistance.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This started happening about a week ago. I use Adobe Creative Cloud, thus, I have the most up-to-date version of Adobe InDesign. I am on Mac OS Mojave 10.14.5 on an iMac Late 2015. It is now happening with Adobe Illustrator as well. I can not open any files, I have tried from the - File - Open menu and it froze and I have to force quit, and when I double-click on the file. I have also uninstalled both apps, reinstalled and did not save previous settings. All of my files are stored on Dropbox, but sync'd locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2019 Aug 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exact version of InDesign are you using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 02, 2019 Aug 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that InDesign and Illustrator are crashing while opening the files. I understand how frustrating it could be. Let us make this right for you. I would need a few more details like:

Looking forward to your response!

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2021 Jun 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im getting this beach balling freeze/pausing, so un-productive.... been happening on and off, seems to happen more frequently after a complete system shut down?

CB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, we're a small team that have just updated our iMacs (2019 27" i9, 40GB RAM, 1TB SSD Mojave 10.14.6 using inDesign 14.0.2.324) and inDesign hangs almost every day for all three of us  - I've  just created a simple one page document and started placing text boxes and graphics frames and the beachball has started and I will need to force quit - even when it doesn't hang it feels so sluggish - our older iMacs (2013 models) were a lot faster than this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried trashing the InDesign preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Richard,

Sorry to hear about the performance issues you are facings with InDesign after upgrading the system. Could you please confirm how the other applications are working?

In addition to suggestions shared by Derek, please booting the system in Safe mode: Start in Safe Boot mode for Adobe products on Mac OS X  and check how InDesign works there.

In Safe mode, all the third-party applications and services closed until you open them.

Looking forward to your response!

Regards!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue and have been for a few weeks now. I am on a Mac mini with 32GB of ram running adobe indesign v 14.0.2 and on Mac Mojave 10.14.6. I too have tried everything to speed up the application with no luck. I’ve tried safe mode and still no luck. This is getting old and it makes a one hour project at work become a whole day affair which is a waste of time. There has to be a fix to this or a new update by now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I assume you’ve reset your InDesign preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek, I rebuilt my prefs yesterday (had been off on hols when you originally suggested it!) not sure if its made a difference yet - I suspect what may be causing the hangs is that the display performance was set to high by default for all documents so I've changed to typical as default, will see how that goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 20, 2019 Aug 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With some set-ups turning off (unticking) GPU Performance in InDesign preferences helps. Worth a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish there was another option instead of "resetting preferences". Some of us have many, many customizations with keyboard shortcuts, panel layouts, etc. that took months/maybe years to get just right, only to have to start over again?????

It may be a solution, but Adobe needs to fix it on their end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines