Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes at startup

New Here ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

since installing OSX lion my InDesign 5.5 crashes at startup. I tried renewing permissions, but that dind't work.

Maybe someone here knows, how to fix this.

http://pastebin.com/aKWJJsJ9

Thanks for your help!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Java is up and running. Uninstalled/reinstalled ID twice. Other user accounts work without any problems. It s really strange...

OK, the information that other user accounts work means it really cannot be an installation problem. So reinstalling won't help and Java isn't related to the problem., etc., etc.

As Peter suggested, I have a list of folders/files to remove from your user Library directory. Note that under Lion, you must hold down Option to see the Library folder in the Go menu of the Fin

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2014 Oct 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Help > Updates.. does not work, download and install the path manually from Adobe - InDesign : For Macintosh : Adobe InDesign CS6 8.0.2 update - All Languages

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 InDesign crashing on new MacBook Pro running El Capitan. I've tried running on a new admin account on the same system and it works. When I follow the steps to trash perfs, and copy over from working account, it still crashes. Here is the error log. Any help is greatly appreciated!

CS5 InDesign Crash Log - Pastebin.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 04, 2015 Nov 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS5 is not and never will be supported under El Capitan.

That said, the one thing that seems to help is turning off auto hide menu bars in the general preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Illustrator and Photoshop for CS5 work just fine under my account. InDesign will work under a new admin account. All on El Capitan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2015 Nov 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: InDesign crashes at startup

BobLevine

CS5 is not and never will be supported under El Capitan.

That said, the one thing that seems to help is turning off auto hide menu bars in the general preferences.

This helped for me thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2015 Nov 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just had the same problem with Creative Cloud InDesign – it just wouldn't open. It kept on crashing. But this "turning off auto hide menu bars" really did the trick for me too. Thank you for the tip!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why does that work? It's so random??? Happy that my InDesign works now but geez, come on Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What makes you think it's Adobe's problem? It might well be, but that is a new O/S setting and you'd think Apple would have tested it against high end applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was sitting here for a good 2 hours trying to figure out why InDesign CS5 suddenly crashed upon launching on El Capitan. Worked previously so I was quite confused.

Turned off the 'auto-hide menu bars' option in system preferences and bam, it works again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2017 Sep 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was the SOLUTION for me as well !!

(Searched several forms for hours)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That seriously helped! I'm astonished by this, for I have tried everything to make it work again (InDesign kept shutting down, tried new admin, that worked for only a week).

So just one simple change in preferences and it worked again. Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

almost forgot, i dont use suitcase...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Java is up and running. Uninstalled/reinstalled ID twice. Other user accounts work without any problems. It s really strange...

OK, the information that other user accounts work means it really cannot be an installation problem. So reinstalling won't help and Java isn't related to the problem., etc., etc.

As Peter suggested, I have a list of folders/files to remove from your user Library directory. Note that under Lion, you must hold down Option to see the Library folder in the Go menu of the Finder. It is hidden from normal navigation.

Here's my list:

~/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe InDesign CS5.5
~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign
~/Library/Caches/com.adobe.InDesign
~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign
~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist
~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.InDesign.plist.lockfile
~/Library/Saved Application State/com.adobe.InDesign.savedState

So try quitting InDesign, getting rid of all of those (you can move them to a temp. folder on the Desktop instead of deleting them just to be safe!), and then restarting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

thanks a lot for your help, deleting the files worked. ID is running smooth again, even without reinstalling.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Worked! Discovered I had over 200 extensions that I really didn't need. Several were InCopy related, which failed to load in the crash report so assume that's where the trouble originated. As a bonus, ID now running quicker, smoother.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2014 Nov 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks so much this worked for me! thank you everyone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2015 Jun 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked GREAT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines