Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes when opening a file

Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2021 Jan 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All, 

I have a problem with my InDesign 2021, Version 16.0.1.

Before Christmas holidays InDesign worked well.

Now, InDesign crashes without any message when I try to open a file. Right after the explorer window opens where I can choose the file, InDesign hangs for a second or two and then closes without any message. 

In the Windows event log there is no entry about that.

I tried to rename the preference files but this had no effect. Unistalling and Re-Installing InDesign also did not help.

Windows update KB4592449 was installed last week so it maybe has something to do with InDesign crashing.

Thank you for your help!

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Problem solved. Third-party software was the reason for the crash. Application integration closed, InDesign works. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The first thing to do is to reset preferences: relaunch inDesign while holding down simultaneously the Shift, Ctrl and Alt keys (Windows) or the Shift, Ctrl, Alt and Cmd keys (Mac) until you get the confirmation message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thank you for your reply. I already reset the preferences in multiple of the described ways. Delete the InDesign folders in AppData, renamed the folders and also the way you described. And yes, the message appeared and I confirmed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it happen with a specific file or with any? If it is with a specific file, it could be corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can`t even selsect a file. The window opens for 2 seconds, freezes and InDesign closes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Install this script and try to convert your file to idml with it. It allows to convert a file without opening it. No guarantee…

blindOpen_and_IDML-Export.jsx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem solved. Third-party software was the reason for the crash. Application integration closed, InDesign works. Thank you for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried this but it didn't resolve my issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

much issue with crashing indesign.

have reverted to using previous version and it all saves without crash.

best

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 03, 2022 Aug 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a similar problem.

Prior to Mac OS update to Monterey 12.5 on my 2016 MacBook Pro, I could open files created in 2021. I need to open these publications to reuse some of the elements, such as headings, etc. and now none of the files from 2021 are opening with this newest version of INDD. I keep having to force quit INDD because it hangs whether or not I opt to update links. How can I access these files? HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines