• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign crashes when ungrouping items

New Here ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to ungroup a rectangle with some text in it and for some reason, EVERY TIME I try to ungroup them using the shortcut keys or from the drop-down menu, InDesign shuts down....happened three times in a row now. Currently using InDesign CC 2021 16.0.2 on iMac running macOS Catalina 10.15.7. - Quad core i7 at 4.2 GHz - 64GB ram - Radeon Pro 575 with 4GB dedicated

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Have you first tried resetting preferences?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/advanced-troubleshooting-for-launch-issues/td-p/11394034?page=1

Also, you could export your file to IDML and reopen that IDML file to re-build a clean INDD document.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Hi 1004kue,

will it help, as a workaround of course, if you do not ungroup the items, but instead select all items of that group, copy them to the clipboard and paste them to the page?

You would select all items of the group in two steps:

Select one item inside the group and then do the keyboard shortcut for Select All.

If you are successful with that, copy the selected items to the clipboard, delete the group and as final step paste the items from the clipboard to the page. Do that with comma

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you first tried resetting preferences?

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/advanced-troubleshooting-for-launch-issues/td-p/11394034?pag...

Also, you could export your file to IDML and reopen that IDML file to re-build a clean INDD document.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi 1004kue,

will it help, as a workaround of course, if you do not ungroup the items, but instead select all items of that group, copy them to the clipboard and paste them to the page?

You would select all items of the group in two steps:

Select one item inside the group and then do the keyboard shortcut for Select All.

If you are successful with that, copy the selected items to the clipboard, delete the group and as final step paste the items from the clipboard to the page. Do that with command Paste In Place.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 03, 2021 Feb 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your experience. We have just released Adobe InDesign 2021 (v16.1) with multiple stability & performance fixes.

Please update your app to the latest version & see if it helps with these kinds of issues. Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Ashutosh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 28, 2023 Jul 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I suddenly had this problem with crashing on grouping too. So I just updated to Indesign18.4.0.56. I used to be an enthusiastic cheerleader for indesign for many years. But over the last year or so I've had apalling problems, not just the ungrouping and crashing business, but situations where masses of text will disappear suddenly from documents. Extremely problematic! What went wrong with Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines