Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS3 crashes when printing in OSX Lion

Jul 20, 2011 Jul 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed OSX Lion today and when I try to print from InDesign or Illustrator CS3 applications crash before the print dialogue window appears. Everything I do as a designer goes through InDesign so I really need to solve this problem!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 125 Replies 125
Explorer ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank-you. Thank-you. Alsolve is very well-named! Thank-you. Worked perfectly. Ditched a bunch of other printers while in there, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I looked at the other threads, and nothing was able to help me fix this issue.

This is the error message I receive: http://pastebin.com/wdLUbfav

I just got a new computer with Lion, and migrated my old PowerPC to it. I have reinstalled the entire cretive suite already. Photoshop does not have this problem. Illustrator does. I followed this: http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/crash-printing-illustrator-indesign-cs3.html but it did not resolve the issue. I have Java Runtime installed.

Not sure what to do. All help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Start by updating inDesign to at least 6.0.5 (6.0.6 was the last patch, but it canges the way Illustrator documents are updated if you edit the links, so you may not want to install that one if you have a lot of files with Illy art placed in them).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried running Adobe Updater, and it told me that I needed to download the new version. I did, and it downloads the updater, then tries updating again, and then tells me to download the new updater again. Every time I try, the problem loops.

So I went on to Adobe's website and downloaded/installed it manually. I'm up to 6.0.5 and when I tried printing, I got this error: http://pastebin.com/hCybtSaq

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like the same crash, and it looks like it's either in Apple's code, or a problem with the AGM, which I think stands for Adobe Graphics Manager. John is really the man when it comes to interpreting these, though.

Can you print half the pages at once? Can you print from a new user?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a new user and printed successfully. I went back to the old user account, tried to print, and it was successful. This doesn't make much sense to me, but I'm glad it works.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Makes no sense to me, either...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Isn't this one a candidate for branching?)

tacologic, in general it's best to ask questions like this in a new thread.

Anyhow:

Yes, this is a crash I think we've seen before that we don't understand. it relates to the AdobeAGM library asking the operating system to do something with an invalid file path. It might be a result of permissions problems on Library directories, but it could be something else much more far-fetched. AdobeAGM is related to printing and interfaces with a number of other subcomponents and has its fingers in a lot of different pies.

It is certainly peculiar that switching accounts fixed the problem in the original account. Did you use Fast User Switching or did you actually log out? If the latter, then perhaps it was merely the act of logging out that cleared up some temporary state that was causing a problem for AdobeAGM.

Not sure what to say. It's probably not worth spending too-too much time trying to diagnose problems in CS4 if they have fixed themselves...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I replied in the thread because I saw that other people had similar problems, and they were instructed to this thread.

I actually logged out after switching, but I had logged out several times (as well as restarting). But yeah, I'm not going to worry about it. Just happy it's fixed.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2012 Jun 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem recurred again. Not sure why. The strange "fix" that worked last time didn't work a second time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 22, 2012 Jun 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for this. it's taken me some time to find the answer but that allowed cs3 to print using lion (10.7.4) can't update illustratoor though... nut it now prints

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2012 Jul 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!  It's a miracle!  All of my CS4 suite apps were crashing when I went to print - I just migrated to a Lion on a brand new 27" imac - and was miffed by this.  Thanks for the work-around!

Andrea

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, AIsolve!!! I'm now able to print from both InDesign CS4 and Illustrator CS4!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 09, 2014 Feb 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Alsolve. It works for my CS3 installed on new startup disk that has clean install of Lion. Older starup disk had crashed.

TeddyBoy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 28, 2015 Jun 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you! This worked for "Print Booklet" crashes InDesign CS3 on Yosemite Mac. If this works for others, click the Like button on that excellent post. Solid gold.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works for me, too! I'm now able to print from both InDesign CS4 and  Illustrator CS4. I was about to reinstall CS4, but am now thinking I  might hold off unless something else goes haywire.

Thanks to AIsolve for this  solution! And thanks, too, to John Hawkinson for wading through my lengthy crash logs, and to the others  who posted here for your input.

Now let's get back to work! 🙂

Message was edited by: jobbydesign Sorry for the double post, all! Am just trying to update folks on the various boards I've sought help on, and forgot I'd posted here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 26, 2011 Jul 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The workaround worked for me too, in CS3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2011 Jul 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey all,

i am having the same issues with printing in illustrator, but i do not have any PPD files to delete as they do not even exsist on my computer, or if someone could help me out that would be great,

have also tried uninstalling ADOBE PDF from the print drivers,

crash data below,

http://pastebin.com/ed4mbcMs

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

Lawrie,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem as Lawrie13. I have searched my entire computer and I can't find those folders.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Those deadlines are getting close.

Susan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I looked under the devices in the side bar menu  which is the name of the computer

this showed me the name of the hard drive

I clicked on the hard drive name and it opened

Library.jpg

The list of folders included  "Library"   (At the disk level this folder is not hidden on my iMac)

This is different from the 'Library' at the User level which is hidden with Lion

At the disk level library are the folders in which are the files that Alsolve says delete

isvara78

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got to the folder that DanRHollock mentioned, however there are lot of PPDs, but none Alsolve said to remove. Now what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi susan, to help you, the library folder can be found by holding command+shift+g and then typing ~/library/

i have found the folders in question but i have no PPD files to get rid of,

once again any help if greatly apprecaited,

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lawrie13, you have the right idea but there are several Library folders on your system, and you're going to the wrong one. The files in question are in /Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources, which is the Library folder off the root of your hard drive. You can get there from Finder by pressing Cmd-Shift-G and typing in /Library (note the leading slash).

Background info: Typing ~/Library will take you to the Library folder in your home directory (the tilde is a Unix-y abbreviation for your home folder). There's also another Library folder in /System/Library which you should generally never mess with. They form a hierarchy of sorts -- only Apple gets to mess with /System/Library; anything in /Library affects all users, and things in ~/Library only apply to you. (In some cases there's a /Network/Library managed by your sysadmin as well.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that was a massive rookie mistake from my part, thank you so much ofr the explaination and it works amazingly,

once again i really appreciate the hit back on the post,

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2011 Aug 01, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't upgraded to Lion yet for fear of it killing CS3 (which I need and sadly am in no position to upgrade to CS5 at the moment). However I've been having lots of problems since the OS update to 10.6.8. In particular indesign just will not export to PDF. I get the dialog for the PDF options, select what I want but when I click to export I get a "The application InDesign has unexpectedly quit." message. The way I got around this issue was to actually set up a new account on my computer and as if by magic InDesign works again perfectly, however I did not let it apply any updates to the CS3 package I'm running (design premium) like it had on my other account. Also on my old original account all the problems still exist. So perhaps it's something that was added in the updates, I'm not sure.

Is there any fix for this? Would the fix for the printing above solve this too? I'm reluctant to start deleting files as I'm on a deadline this week. But if anyone else has had this problem and found a solution I'd be pleased to hear it.

If I upgrade to Lion will CS3 work again if I apply the fix suggested here? Is there anything this won't fix. My main concern is for InDesign and Photoshop, I wouldn't be happy living without the others but I could cope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines