• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 EPUB not displaying all pages

Participant ,
Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on exporting a document to  EPUB using InDesign CS6 vers. 8.0.2. The 133 page document that I am working with has a single article in  threaded text frames. I am using a Kobo Clara HD ereader for testing. The problem is that only 45 pages are displayed. Do you have suggestions on how I can solve the problem?

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 08, 2021 Apr 08, 2021

Re the number of pages, I meant you can't stipulate the number of pages in a Reflowable ePub because the extent varies, depending on the factors I mentioned.

Maybe you do have missing pages, (if you do it's probably because they are not linked), but it's worth checking if that makes sense.

You could also validate the ePub: http://validator.idpf.org

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant , Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

All of the text is included in the ePub. I ordered a used copy of the following books from Amazon and hopefully one of them will discuss the .opf file: "ePublishing with InDesign CS6: Design and produce digital publications for tablets, ereaders, smartphones, and more," "Real World Adobe InDesign CS6, "Digital Publishing With Adobe InDesign CS6" and "Adobe Indesign CS6 The Professional Portfolio Series." Thank you, Bob, Derek, jane-e and Jonathan.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If there is one single reason to upgrade from CS6 it's for EPUB. You are using an archaic tool and I doubt very much you're going to find too many others trying to create EPUBs with 9-year-old software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, I am on a lean budget and I cannot afford to upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can go month to month for $30 or so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That exceeds my budget because I use InDesign and EasyCatalog for lengthy reports for my mother's estate work and for personal use. I am not from a wealthy family, but dishonest family members can cause a lot of trouble when parents have a simple living trust. The ROI for InDesign and EasyCatalog is excellent considering how much a lawyer or accountant would charge for family reports.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what OS are you running?

is this the only file doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7. It happens with the two EPUBs that I've created. Neiher one has any images. With the other document, the length showing in the ereader frequently varies. Once it displayed 65 pages, and this morning it displayed 149 pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a Reflowable ePubs, the number of pages will vary depending on the size of the font and the size of the screen's device. Have you checked that all the text is included?

It's important that you check the ePub on a number of devices and ePub readers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't understand what you mean by checking that all the text is included. I did not check the ePub on a number of devices and ePub readers because this ePub is for personal use only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re the number of pages, I meant you can't stipulate the number of pages in a Reflowable ePub because the extent varies, depending on the factors I mentioned.

Maybe you do have missing pages, (if you do it's probably because they are not linked), but it's worth checking if that makes sense.

You could also validate the ePub: http://validator.idpf.org

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested both ePubs and the number of pages does not change when the font size is changed. However, the number of pages of a professionally-made ePub that I downloaded from the Kobo website does change when the font size is changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used the validator and received a "title tag is empty" error on line 6, position 24.

ePub_error.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using the ePub advice in "InDesign CS6 Classroom in a Book" and "Adobe Creative Suite 5 Design Premium How-Tos"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would exporting to a PDF meet your needs for the reports? Ignore this if it does not.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I export to both PDF and EPUB. EPUB is wonderful because I have been able to dramatically reduce the amount of printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re your ePub, have you used Paragraph (and Character) styles on all text, and applied no Master Page content, e.g. folios?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have done all of that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 09, 2021 Apr 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of the text is included in the ePub. I ordered a used copy of the following books from Amazon and hopefully one of them will discuss the .opf file: "ePublishing with InDesign CS6: Design and produce digital publications for tablets, ereaders, smartphones, and more," "Real World Adobe InDesign CS6, "Digital Publishing With Adobe InDesign CS6" and "Adobe Indesign CS6 The Professional Portfolio Series." Thank you, Bob, Derek, jane-e and Jonathan.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines