• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Data Merge Data Source nothing happens

New Here ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a product catalog in InDesign, and when I select my .csv Data Source nothing is populating. I've done these many times before, and there is nothing wrong with my template or excel based file. 

I've tried restarting my computer, logging out of CC, moving the InDesign file to a new document, and resaving the Excel file as a .csv. 

I should mention that on earlier versions of the .csv file a few days ago, everything merged perfectly.

Any ideas as to why nothing happens when I select "data source"? Thanks very much!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's hard to tell without more information. What does your Data Merge panel look like after you have selected the data source? (a screen shot would be helpful)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi SJRiegel,

It's as though I didn't select anything at all. When I click select data source I can select a file, on a few occasions there has been a 2-3 second lag, but then nothing happens (no file error message, etc.)Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your InDesign file might have become courrupted. Try exporting as IDML, and see it that file functions any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you try to import this data source into a new document?

What happens when you export as a different file format (UTF-16 text for example) and try the above?

Is this on a local drive, a LAN or cloud storage?

Windows or Mac, and what version of CC?

Not sure what it could be...

Silly question, but is the first line of the database blank?

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 03, 2020 Mar 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I've just lost 2 hours on the same issue. I managed to resolve it by removing some colons that were in a couple of column headings!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for posting this! this was my problem exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2020 Aug 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had another data merge this week and didn't have any issues exporting
from Numbers. Similar types of data, but it seems to have disappeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!  I've been fighting with this merge for almost 2 hours as well...  This was exactly the problem!!  It works now.  🙂  Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2022 May 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You solved my annoying issue- THANK YOU!! Haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2022 Jun 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Legend! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem. Nothing happens, but then when I try to re-open the InDesign file it gives me the permission warning as if the CSV file is opened. It's not opened, nor is Numbers openend. I've tried these solutions with no luck:

- CSV issue: tried a new csv file with several export options, exporting from Google Sheets instead of Apple Numbers, a brand new csv file with nothing except "test one" and "test two" to ensure there wasn't a weird symbol somewhere.

- InDesign: A new InDesign file that was empty to see if InDesign was the issue.

- Restarted my computer, InDesign, and Numbers. I also closed Numbers entirely.

- Close every app on my computer, shut off my wifi, dropbox, etc. in case it was a network thing.

AKA if this is a user error...then I'll be suprised. I'm about to look for a work around that's not InDesign. I just love paying high subscription fees for the software I use to not work. 

Edit/Solution??: Tried checking user permissions in a few places as well and that didn't seem to work either, but then closed things down again. I reopened the file in Google Sheets, removed all formating, exported again as CSV (tried tab as well). Reopened InDesign and it worked. So, my guess is it is a permisson issue somewhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines