• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Indesign Headers & Footers

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have selected an Indesign template for an eBook. It has headers & footers in the template that I want to edit, but cannot find how to select the text. I have looked at a few tutorials but all they talk about is the master pages, as each header is different according to chapters, it's not a master page.

Please help!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Guide , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

You can use variable headers on the master page. To sugges the best way for your project we need to see what you have and what you want to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Possible reasons for your inability to select the text:

• It is on a master page. Your conclusion that it's not because it varies chapter to chapter could just be a case of a separate master page dedicated to each chapter.
  • The text frame is locked.
  • The text frame is on a locked layer.
  • The text is a text variable. Variables, even if they are comprised of multiple words, behave as a single character. You can't edit it like live text.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use variable headers on the master page. To sugges the best way for your project we need to see what you have and what you want to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possible reasons for your inability to select the text:

• It is on a master page. Your conclusion that it's not because it varies chapter to chapter could just be a case of a separate master page dedicated to each chapter.
  • The text frame is locked.
  • The text frame is on a locked layer.
  • The text is a text variable. Variables, even if they are comprised of multiple words, behave as a single character. You can't edit it like live text.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 21, 2021 Sep 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also need to change the text at the top right, different for even pages and odd pages. It is a model. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me, and I apologize because I've only been trying to learn InDesign for a few days. Gianluca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did it: I had to work on the master pages ... sorry, and see you next time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which template are you using? A lot of them use Alternate Layouts to accomodate various paper sizes, which is confusing for a user who hasn't used them before. I wrote this up for one of my students who was struggling, which may be clarifiying for you.

https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-cant-edit-adobe-stock-cv-template/

But if you give us the exact number we can be very specific about what you need to do.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I also need to change the text at the top right, different for even pages and odd pages. It is a template. Thanks for any suggestions you can give me, and I apologize because I've only been trying to learn InDesign for a few days. Gianluca

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Gianluca-73-Italy :

InDesign documents use master pages to hold the running head content. You will need to navigate to the master pages in the Pages panel to edit the left- and right-page running heads. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines