• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign layers won't expand/extend/unfold

Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am on Win7x64 Ultimate and InDesign CC v2017.1; 12.1.0.56 x64. This is the problem:

Capture.PNG

There are objects (text, pics, etc.) on all 3 layers. For some reason though, no matter what I mark, what I select, how I select it, or whatever I do, I simply cannot get the layers to expand/unfold and show their contents properly. If I click individually through the objects on my pages, then the respective layer does extend and show all its contents. However, when I clear my selection and just try to hit (unfold) the layer arrows (so as to see what each layer contains) I can at most expand one layer (as the image above shows). The other layers' contents won't  show. The arrows do flip from pointing sideways to pointing down, but they simply do not reveal the layer's contents (as seen on the image above).

Tried toggling on and off the layer panel options 'Suppress Text Wrap When Layer is Hidden' / 'Ungroup/Paste Remembers Layers' / 'Small panel rows' but still nothing.

What could be could be causing this and how to fix it? All I need is that when I toggle the arrows they would expand and show the layer's contents.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 13, 2017 Jul 13, 2017

Well that was a shock ... hadn't used InD for a while but apparently this would never have been on my mind. Turns out you could actually only be viewing 1 spread at a time. That is the spread where you've clicked on i.e. where you have your focus on. No matter how far out you zoom out, hoping that seeing all pages would reveal all layers and all their content. And no matter how many pages your spread contains ... you can only actively be viewing/interacting with 1 spread at a time, as far as I s

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Followed the instructions exactly as explained. Tried both methods together and individually, then together again (one right after the other) in mixed order. The problem is not resolved.

More suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this way: Close InDesign. Then hold down Ctrl + Alt + Shift (Windows) or Cmd + Ctrl + Opt + Shift (Mac), and relaunch InDesign. Respond in the affirmative to the dialog asking if you really want to replace the preferences.

Let us know if it works (or not!).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the reply! Your suggestion is a slight modification from the first method suggested here Troubleshooting 101: Replace, or "trash" your InDesign preferences​ ... however, the problem remains ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it used to work? Maybe reinstall the application worth trying.

Uninstall InDesign using the drop-down in the Creative Cloud app (see screen shot below), then run the Adobe Cleaner Tool  Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems  before reinstalling Installing.

Indesign.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uninstalled InDesign manually/separately. Didn't use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool​​ as that would have uninstalled my other Adobe apps, which would have been an immense hassle. I also don't see why the tool can't simply uninstall InDesign while leaving my other Adobe apps intact.

Cleaner my registry with CCleaner, rebooted ... housekeeping as needed ... reinstalled InDesign and the issues is there again.

I can't believe that it is not possible to figure out what is responsible for the behaviour of those layer arrows and how to control what they expand and what they show ... If those arrows don't display what each layer contains, then layers become absolutely pointless ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Btw, the problem does not exist with Illustrator. Just checked it on the same machine where InDesign gives this odd behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are the object you think should be displaying on a master page?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, they are not ... they are simply on a regular page.

PS - to everyone contributing: I appreciate your effort!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

As you might have now guessed it is pretty rare and unusual problem.

Can you please post a screenshot of the document page along with layers panel open so that everyone can see what exactly is the scenario.

Moreover adding a small video showing the issue would be the best option to let others help you.

This would only help you to solve your problem and others to become aware of the problems with InDesign and how to resolve them.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post the file somewhere such as Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well that was a shock ... hadn't used InD for a while but apparently this would never have been on my mind. Turns out you could actually only be viewing 1 spread at a time. That is the spread where you've clicked on i.e. where you have your focus on. No matter how far out you zoom out, hoping that seeing all pages would reveal all layers and all their content. And no matter how many pages your spread contains ... you can only actively be viewing/interacting with 1 spread at a time, as far as I see it. That being said, your layers would only be showing you what the currently viewed spread contains. If you don't have objects from a certain layer on the current spread you're viewing, then that layer simply won't show anything, which is true for that one spread being viewed, but not necessarily true for the whole doc.

If that's how InD has worked always then I beg your pardon. I do see the logic behind this behaviour but I'd find it rather useful to have a toggle for this so that we could decide if we want to have the layers display all their contents, regardless of which spread we're on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Always and forever been that way.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks and I apologize once again for my misunderstanding. As can be seen - been a while since I last used InD.

Is there an option to toggle what I suggested - to have the layers display all the objects they globally contain, instead of per-spread?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 14, 2017 Jul 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there an option to toggle what I suggested

No. You also can't select objects on more than one spread at a time

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines