• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign not allowing "Save", "Relink/Place", and over HALF of the basic functions required

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2021 Mar 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Anyone else having an ABSOLUTELY terrible time with basic functions going completely blank for InDesign? This has been going on for weeks too! Save, Save As, Relink, Place, Move Master Pages, etc... the list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on....I'm even having trouble with simply pressing command +/- to zoom in and out easily....you get the point, it's a mess. I've tired uninstalling and reinstalling probably like 15 times in the last 3 weeks alone. I'm on the newest version 16.2 I believe (I'm reinstalling now, so it doesn't popup).

I've tried dumping all my preferences and then reloading them – about 50 times now, so I'm pretty good at it, but I'm honestly pretty disappointed (I'll keep it PG, cause this is not the words I'm thinking of in my head) with the suggestions of dumping data consistently that is meant to be your source of truth for your interface and workflow.

I would try doing the idml bit, except that I can't "Save As" so I have no option to even try that as last resort. This is not a single file issue either. It's ALL of them when opened. 

The only thing I have found that works is tinkering in the file sometimes. I'll edit some areas, then save then it might give me the option to do basic and normal functions. Sometimes I do that and most options are grayed out, so I simply save over the file again as indd - which sometimes I get the basic and normal functions to pop back up after reopening, but not very often.

HELP! I've seriously never had an issue quite as bad as this in the over 10+ years that I've been dealing with literature creation, so I'm not some completely new beginner. I literally spend 5-6 hours daily building manuals, spec sheets, brochures, etc...and I'm about to the point of just changing careers (just kidding, I love the other programs but I'm legit at wits end with InDesiagn). Anyone got any better suggestions???? 

TOPICS
Feature request , How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will help anyone else, but I've found that when 80% of the basic functions are grayed out I can do the steps below and it seems to ungray all options quickly:

File>Export PDF Presets>Define (the only option not grayed out for me)>Press "Done" after clicking on the first preset 

Don't change any preset settings though, just open the popup window and simply press done. Then all the options ungray. 

Or at least that has been working for me the last few days 🤷‍:female_sign:🤷‍:female_sign:🤷‍:female_sign:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) Install previous v15 and works with it. You need to have work. Don't uninstall new version. 

2) Connect with Adobe Support Chat about your problem and ask their help. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I'm too that point. I'll reach out to a chat today and see if they have any suggestions. I'm at a total lose at this point, so that is probably the only thing that will help keep what little sanity I have left on this topic lol.

Going to try to the v15 again today though. I hadn't thought to go back a version and keep the newest version as well. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you also deleted your Caches folder? A reinstall wouldn’t remove corrupted preferences or caches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried dumping all my preferences and then reloading them – about 50 times now

How are you doing that? Are you deleting or moving the entire Preferences folder from your system and then letting InDesign rebuild them on a restart? On OSX ‎⁨ ⁨Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 16.0⁩

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done this a few ways over the course of the past few weeks. 

Way 1: I simply remove preferences when prompted on the uninstall page. I'm unsure if there is a trail of info for InDesign in to rebuild upon restart though or what exactly is kept (only defaults I'm guessing) and what is trashed - guess I should poke around more on this. From what I've experienced, I have to manually rebuild it all - ie workspace, custom shortcuts, etc...within InDesign.

Way 2: I trash the preferences folder completely, then uninstall/reinstall. This still requires a manual reload on my part for preferences. I am able to keep my custom workspace.

Way 3: Unistall without removing preferences. Reinstall and then trash preferences and rebuild manually in InDesign. 

Way 4: Get in the fetal position, realize this is "The Way" and accept that I'll have to do this for eternity.

One thing I've also done is test going back a version or 2 for InDesign specifically. I personally haven't seen much of a difference between the last 3 versions. They are all still behaving with about 80% of the menu options and basic functions grayed out.  I find returning to work after the weekend (2 days of no activity on the computer) that the missing functions and menu button issue are more prevalent.

One thing I haven't tried is the cache. I'll test that today as I'm having a really fun day of InDesign now crashing after about 5 minutes of being open. Fun times with Adobe! I did go back to Catalina and it's been a bit better, but it's still an absolute MESS!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It might be worth trying to quit ID, delete both the Caches and Preferences folders from the system, restart ID, and see what affect that has before you rebuild preferences and load presets. Also are you running any third party plugins or startup scripts? If so, remove them when you delete your prefs and caches.

Users⁩ ▸ ⁨username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Preferences⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 16.0⁩

⁨Users⁩ ▸ username ▸ ⁨Library⁩ ▸ ⁨Caches⁩ ▸ ⁨Adobe InDesign⁩ ▸ ⁨Version 16.0⁩

What’s your hardware? New M1 chip?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines