• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Print Booklet to Postscript cutting off pages

Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone has found a solution to this problem!

When I try to save a postscript file for a booklet, the preview looks correct but the exported file cuts off the pages. I've had this happen for several booklets recently and have had to manually rearrange all the spreads in InDesign for print. Not good!

Here are the steps I currently follow:

File - Print Booklet

Printer is set as a PostScript file. (If I go into print settings and select a printer, it prints instead of saving as a PostScript file, so I'm forced to leave the PPD settings at "Devise Independent.")

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.04.29 PM.png

So my setup looks like this:

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.00.13 PM.png

And my preview looks correct:

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.00.16 PM.png

However, when I click "print," the resulting PostScript file cuts off content if the spreads are larger than 8.5" x 11". Converting the PostScript file to a PDF does not solve the problem.

Screen Shot 2019-12-26 at 2.01.01 PM.png

As a print designer, I really need to find a fix for this. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

All of my CC programs are up to date.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Dec 26, 2019 Dec 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the forum fairly often, and I see lots of questions about creating an imposed book PDF with the print window. It's an old workflow, and there's a pretty good chance that you don't need to use it any longer. If you export to PDF with the pages in the normal consecutive order, with each page of your book a PDF page (i.e., not two pages of your InDesign file as a single page of your PDF), you can usually print that file from Acrobat, and it will impose it into a printed booklet for you.

But you may want an imposed PDF to send for offset printing, so the printer doesn't have to impose the pages into printer's spreads. If that's the case, printing to PostScript is a bad idea. It produces an inferior PDF when compared to exporting as PDF/X-4 from InDesign, and imposition is the printer's job. In fact, I get jobs that are imposed that I have to break apart because they weren't imposed to the specifications that I need to go to press. You could get charged extra if they have to undo what you have done with the best of intentions.

Just some thoughts…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2019 Dec 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, thanks for your response! I've browsed the forum and seen other similar questions, too, although was hoping there was maybe a newer solution or something I missed. I have actually had printers request the imposed spreads before. I've set it up manually by rearranging the InDesign pages for up to 20 pages. Any more than that becomes kind of a nightmare, and prone to errors.

I've seen the solution proposed about printing a booklet from Acrobat, and curious to know more about how this works. If I need bleed and crops (which I always do), it looks like Acrobat doesn't eliminate the bleed & crops in the spine area, and adds space in the center of the pages:

Screen Shot 2019-12-30 at 12.11.46 PM.png

Choosing "booklet" for the binding type in printer settings doesn't solve it, either. What's the best way to do this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All you'll get is workarounds that produce a PDF that is simply not up to current standards. Find another printer!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 27, 2019 Dec 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, worked!!! Thank you so much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 08, 2020 Oct 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, this worked for me but the second time around - it went back to normal. The folder is still there and I've tried restarting reinstalling etc and nothing works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 24, 2021 Jan 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks a lot this was really helpful, worked for me 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines