• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Publish Online Issue

Community Beginner ,
Dec 01, 2017 Dec 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I have created a document in InDesign and am using it's publish online function so that it can be viewed via desktop, mobile & tablet.

It operates fine on desktop but when you view it on an android phone it skips pages and is very clunky when you zoom in and out.  I have tried various settings to try and correct this but the problem still persists.

Any suggestions would would be greatly appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

This is a known problem which has been reported and is "under review." Please vote for it in User Voice, if you have not already, as this helps the team understand which bugs need to be fixed most urgently.

Publish Online – Adobe InDesign Feedback

Sorry I don't have more information or a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there anything unusual on the skipped pages?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the skips of pages seem to be indiscriminate. Sometimes the page will appear and other times it won't. It will go from page 1 to 5 and then go from 5 to 3. Desktop is fine it's just when viewing on a phone.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tested this behavior on more than one Android OS smartphone?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I have tried it on other android phones with the same result, on an I-phone it is slightly more responsive but still has the same issues with page skipping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic questions:

Is the InDesign document RGB?

Are all graphics RGB?

Are the pages highly complex?

Are you using paragraph and character styles rigorously so that the EPUB code is compact?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And how many pages are in these test files?

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 04, 2017 Dec 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sam,

Would you kindly post the link so some of us can try and have a look?

Thanks, --Diane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to publishing online with indesign but I don't think it's an issue with the doc. I found this same behavior with viewing my own doc when I published online. When I view the doc on an Android tablet or phone and an iPhone it skips pages. I too thought it was my doc but I found that even the sample doc Five Days From Nowhere has the same behavior. Assuming that a sample doc here Use Publish Online to publish your InDesign documents would have the correct doc setup.

I compared Five Days From Nowhere on my laptop and an Android tablet page by page and on the tablet it skipped pages many times. It didn't display the "Sometimes we find what we seek" page until going through the doc back and forth 3 or 4 times. It seems to skip every other page going from the last page to the first. Maybe intentional to get back to the front faster?

When going from page 1 to the last page, it skips pages randomly it seems. I went through several times and saw new pages and other pages were now missing.

When testing with my own doc, I noticed that the page number display in the viewer itself was keeping the correct page count. The counter would go from 12 to 16 for example.

We were really counting on this to publish our new magazine. I hope there is a fix for this soon if I'm correct, but for now I'm trying to find a similar way to publish. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I cannot duplicate this behavior on my iPhone or iPad. Sorry I don't have an Android device. Perhaps someone who does can test the Five Days from Nowhere document on one.

But like to clarify your results, just to be clear. You're on page 1 of the document, then you swipe or tap the right arrow and you go to page 4, for example. Is that right? Are you always swiping or always using the navigation arrows?

This document is embedded on the Adobe help page. When you tap to view it, it goes into Full Screen mode. Safari on iOS devices doesn't have a full screen mode, but it still views fine. Perhaps it is related to that on an Android device?

Do you need to embed your magazine? Try viewing a Publish Online document directly. Here is one: https://bit.ly/PubOnGallery

If you need to embed, try this: grab the embed code, and where it says "embed" in the URL, change to "view". See if you still have the problem.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for trying.

I did check again and you're correct. I'm not getting this behavior on iPhone. Only Android devices.

I'm pretty confident that this is not isolated though, because three members of our team reported this happening without prompting from the others. All three are located independently. i.e. they are not sharing an office network or similar so that they would be subject to the same circumstances causing a problem.

"You're on page 1 of the document, then you swipe or tap the right arrow and you go to page 4, for example. Is that right?"

Yes the behavior you describe is mostly correct. I'm using a print set up, so we have 2 page spreads that are viewed in each page set (except for the cover). My experience with our doc is that it skips a set of pages. so it would be skipping from page 2 to page 6. Missing only one set of pages at a time. Which pages will be skipped is different each time I swipe through the doc.

My experience with the sample doc I mentioned was the same too. It only ever seems to skip a single page at a time. Those pages being skipped may be different each swipe through the doc.

Are you always swiping or always using the navigation arrows?

It occurs when swiping. I haven't confirmed with the others, but although I can see the arrows of the viewer, they are inactive and I can only initiate a page change by swiping on Android mobile devices.

We are viewing the docs directly. Whether I click through the view document button once publishing is complete, or copy and paste the link into a browser, I get the same behavior. I have not yet tried to embed it because I figured that I would be embedding the same viewer and the problem would persist.

After a quick check, I do not seem to having the problem with the doc you posted but in the same browser on the same device and am still having it with the sample I mentioned before.

Does any of that help? A solution to this would be incredible.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Odd that you are not seeing the problem on the document I sent you. While your doc is published in spreads, that's likely not the culprit as I don't think that the Five Days from Nowhere is published as spreads, I believe it's individual pages, as in the sample I sent.

I'd like to send this problem to some other folks who can test on an Android device. Can you confirm that you see the problem on the Five Days from Nowhere document that appears on the help page link you posted above? We can use that as a test case if so. Or, if you can publish your own document, that would ultimately be the best test of all.

Thanks, --db

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2017 Dec 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes I do still see this in the Five Days From Nowhere doc. Although I can't seem to recreate it with the doc you posted, several of the docs linked to from your doc do exibit this behavior. The John Kelly doc for example.

I also tried embedding our doc just to see what happened and the page skipping remained.

I'm working on publishing our doc but it hasn't been released yet so I'm not able to post a link to it at this time. We're way past deadline and I've spent 3 days trying to figure out a solution so unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how to best get the same features available with Publish Online with another publishing method.

I appreciate any help so that maybe we'll be able to use this next month.

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2017 Dec 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I've just checked this on Chrome and Edge on my Galaxy S8 and confirm the behavior. If you tap the page itself it brings up the navigation bar which does work but swiping skips pages and the page arrows are unresponsive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you for confirming this. I appreciate the effort put forth by both of you.

Is there a way to submit this as a bug report to Adobe?

Even if there is a specific setting causing this problem, it would still be a bug.

On our end, we have confirmed this problem on a two Samsung tablets, S5, and S8 phones. All instances were in Chrome. I haven't had the time yet to download a few alternative browsers and check those, but it seems to be pretty widespread as far as Android goes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look under the Help menu in InDesign you'll find a link to report this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also filed the bug under User Voice.

You can vote for or comment further here; Adobe looks at this input so your additional comments would be helpful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you both very much.

Does Adobe have a record of quickly fixing items like this, or should I start trying to randomly change settings and publishing to see if I can make it stop in my particular document?

I don't really have time for that at the moment, but we would really like to be able to publish this way. Too many of our intended audience use Android tablets for us to ignore the page skipping.

I'll definitely copy some of my experiences with this problem over there.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did anyone get a resolution to this problem. I get exactly the same issue on an Android device. When you swipe, it skips in odd numbers to the end of the page and then skips in even numbers swiping back to the start of the page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known problem which has been reported and is "under review." Please vote for it in User Voice, if you have not already, as this helps the team understand which bugs need to be fixed most urgently.

Sorry I don't have more information or a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a post original made to this thread and somehow got branched and placed in the Holding Room. I'm reposting it.

Sakshi Verma

Hi,

Thank you for reporting the issue. It is getting reproduced at our end as well and being looked upon by the team. Meanwhile, if you could help us with some of the information, it would be very useful to us.

Can you please confirm whether you have seen this issue recently or it is occurring from the past ?

Have you checked it on Android phones only or Tablets as well ? Please mention your browser as well.

You can directly write to me in case of any concern at sakverma@adobe.com

Thanks,

Sakshi Verma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2017 Dec 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sakshi,

From our experience, it has been occurring for at least the last 2 weeks, but this is also when we began to publish with Publish Online so it likely could have been occurring before that time.

We experience the page skipping problem on all Android phones and tablets we have tested. We have tested primarily with Chrome, but there was also a report of the same problem happening when using Edge.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 13, 2017 Dec 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. I will keep you updated if some progress is made in this issue.

Regards,

Sakshi Verma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2017 Dec 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

The tablets we experience this problem on are:

Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 SM-T810 Tablet with Android 7 and a Samsung Galaxy Note SM-P600 with Android 5.1.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2017 Dec 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the information. This will surely help in narrowing down the issue.

Regards,

Sakshi Verma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines