Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign Server error

Participant ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I am running a previous version of InDesign Server for CC2020 with our plugins. 

asaxena_3-1614321642350.png

I notice error while the server starts up and is related to InDesignModelAndUI.framework library.

I am now suspecting this is because our plugins have build time dependency on InDesignModelAndUI.framework but this framework is not required when run under InDesign Server.

Is that correct? If yes, then do I need to create another build configuration for InDesign Server which would not depend on InDesignModelAndUI.framework or is there a more run-time way of doing this?

Thanks,

TOPICS
How to , SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

I would put it a little differently as follows

• InDesignModel.framework :- Contains stuff related to non UI components, this can be used both for a plugin to be used on the Desktop as well as the Server version of InDesign.
  • InDesignModelAndUI.framework :- Contains stuff related to model as well as UI components, this can be used only for a plugin to be used on the Desktop version of InDesign.

So what you need to do is, separate your plugin into two plugins i.e. the model and UI plugins if it's

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remove the use of this framework from your project. You should use only InDesignModel.framework for a plugin to be used on IDS. Once you remove the UI framework, your project might hopefully refuse to build if there are still some UI API's referenced in it, remove the call to those API's and you shall have a plugin that is IDS compatible

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

So, here's what I understand:

For the plugin to work with InDesign we need InDesignModelAndUI.framework, and,

For the plugin to work with InDesign Server, we just need InDesignModel.framework.

Is that correct understanding?

This would mean having some form of a build configuration and shipping two versions of the plugin, ones which are for InDesign and ones which are for InDesign Server, isn't it?

Thanks,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would put it a little differently as follows

• InDesignModel.framework :- Contains stuff related to non UI components, this can be used both for a plugin to be used on the Desktop as well as the Server version of InDesign.
  • InDesignModelAndUI.framework :- Contains stuff related to model as well as UI components, this can be used only for a plugin to be used on the Desktop version of InDesign.

So what you need to do is, separate your plugin into two plugins i.e. the model and UI plugins if it's not done already. The model plugin will link to InDesignModel.framework and the UI plugin will link to InDesignModelAndUI.framework. For IDS you will ship only the model version of the plugin as the UI has no use on the server.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 26, 2021 Feb 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

very well explained indeed. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines