• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Interactive buttons not working when exporting to PDF

Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2011 Aug 29, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been trying all morning to get buttons to work in my PDF. I make an object a button and then give it some actions but when I export to PDF I get a message saying that the Go To actions have been disabled. This is so simple. Why is it not working?

TOPICS
Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE !!!

1.  Make a Bookmark for each page in the document using the Bookmarks window.

2. Use the "Go To Destination" action under Buttons and Forms. This then shows a dropdown for Destinations and shows all the Bookmarks you make.  Select the page book mark you want per button.

Go To Destination.jpg

3.  In this window you can also set you button states.

4.  Export as interactive and the PDF will work perfectly.

Here is an example that has a button at the bottom of each page for easy navigation through t

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SOLUTION TO THIS ISSUE !!!

1.  Make a Bookmark for each page in the document using the Bookmarks window.

2. Use the "Go To Destination" action under Buttons and Forms. This then shows a dropdown for Destinations and shows all the Bookmarks you make.  Select the page book mark you want per button.

Go To Destination.jpg

3.  In this window you can also set you button states.

4.  Export as interactive and the PDF will work perfectly.

Here is an example that has a button at the bottom of each page for easy navigation through the document and a full Table of Contents on page 2. 

Download this file and you can see how it works after it is exported using this method:

http://dejoriacenter.com/clone/DJC-Production_&_Technical_Information_2017.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 16, 2017 Apr 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Was losing my mind when I found your solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 07, 2017 Sep 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks! Works perfectly!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 03, 2017 Dec 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another reason I try to avoid InDesign, but studying Digital Media, sometimes they force you.

Had no way to make this interactive (buttons) without your solution.

Thank you very much! Took forever to fix as I have over 140 buttons, but they all work and project now fits specifications.

You saved my final project

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wanted to fix the link in my answer to show the example at it's new location, but I can't edit the post... so here you go:

https://www.dejoriacenter.com/DJC-Production_&_Technical_Information_2017.pdf

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 16, 2018 Mar 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Download the file to see it working in Adobe Acrobat.  Embedded in the browser does not work correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2018 Mar 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As already pointed out here and countless other places, beyond Acrobat or Acrobat Reader interactive PDF is a complete crap shoot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, using the technique I point out works perfectly. I have made dozens of interactive files and all the buttons work to take the user where I want them to go in the file.  The only major issue I have is that the programming won't work when opened inside a web browser PDF reader. You have to download the file and use it in Acrobat to have the buttons work correctly and jump you around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s my point! Unless you can assure that users will be on Acrobat or Reader, it’s a crapshoot.

This is particularly true in browsers or mobile devices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While I agree with you, Adobe should fix this issue of reading in browsers and allowing the interactivity to work, we mainly email people these documents when they request it, so then they always open the file in Acrobat on their systems. I do wish Adobe listened to their users and fixed the NUMEROUS issues with their software(s) but they choose to ignore requests like these.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you're understanding the situation. Adobe is no longer in charge of PDF. It's been an ISO standard for over 10 years. The problem is that the PDF readers in Mac Preview, in web browsers, and in mobile devices lack support because the developers of that software haven't included support for interactivity. Adobe has absolutely no way of controlling that!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Steve says, but I will point out one other thing…when you export, you are specifically exporting to Adobe PDF.

While there’s plenty of things for Adobe to fix, this is not one of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2020 Mar 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you create the "Wedding Information Form" in Indesign?

How did you put the form onto the website??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have no idea what you want or need, but this post is several years old. I am going to lock it. If you have any further questions, please start a new discussion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, for me the problem turned out to be that the document name may not contain spaces in order for "Go to destination" to work in a interactive pdf.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2019 Jul 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there

buttons do not work when I export interactive pdf. I choose go to destination as a button. Can you help me.

versiyon: Indesign 14.0.2

Screen Shot 2019-07-20 at 01.03.13.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use hyperlinks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines