• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to have Cloud-based Image Linking into inDesign?

New Here ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our organization has recently moved over to a Document Library (DAM) service called Bynder™. This platform allows us to Tag all our media for Accessibility purposes WCAG/W3C. 

Is there a way to place and/or import these images that exist in our DAM? (not locally but remotely on the Bynder server) The DAM will allow us to create a public perma-link for each image asset, but I can't seem to find a way to embedd those into an inDesign file?

<Title renamed by moderator>

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

No you won't be able to link images by permalinks. 

If you had access to the server path - and you were linked to the server as a network drive you would be able to link.

I use a DAM everyday - our workflow is to replace all links in all documents from the DAM. 

We then embed all the images into the document. 

When you open the document - you can see when the image was placed by date - in the links panel - and that it was linked to the last users computer.

You then copy the links name - find

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 15, 2023 Mar 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No you won't be able to link images by permalinks. 

If you had access to the server path - and you were linked to the server as a network drive you would be able to link.

I use a DAM everyday - our workflow is to replace all links in all documents from the DAM. 

We then embed all the images into the document. 

When you open the document - you can see when the image was placed by date - in the links panel - and that it was linked to the last users computer.

You then copy the links name - find them on DAM  - relink them - and then reembed them.

It's quite quick once you get a workflow going.

I'm not suggesting you work like this - I'm just explaining how we are handling it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 26, 2024 Jan 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you embed links into your document?!?!?!?!??!?!!!??! your indd file sizes must be crazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

File sizes never concern me. Maybe 20 years ago.

But I never got the notion embedding files is a bad idea. Always working for me. Never an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you're describing is to use an HTTP-based URL as the basis for a linked assset in InDesign. Eugene is right that InDesign doesn't do this natively, however this is exactly why Silicon Publsihing developed its Connector product. The Connector allows you to place HTTP-based assets as links that work the same way that traditional file-based linking works in InDesign.

When the linked asset is modified it displays a modification warning just like regular ID links and allows you to update. When you package a file it can download the links and include them in the package.

While connector can work with any public HTTP-based asset, there are integrations with specific systems. In the case of Bynder, there is a dedicated Silicon Connector for Bynder. Among other features, this provides you a panel right in InDesign so you can browse Bynder and place assets from Bynder directly into your InDesign document.

If you'd like to get connected with someone who can get you setup with the plug-in feel free to reach out - sales@siliconpublishing.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines