• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with placed ai files into InDesign

New Here ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just started noticing issues with illustrator ai files imported into InDesign. Mainly it is the disappearance of any drop shadows (embedded within the ai file), but I've also had text elements disappear as well (interestingly when those same elements are first converted to paths and the ai file resaved, they do show up and print via InDesign with no issues). 
A workaround is to save the ai file as a pdf, then reimport into InDesign. It then previews and prints correctly. I've also noticed pre-existing ai files already embedded in InDesign files do preview and print correctly.

I can export directly to print pdf from ai, again with no issue.

So it seems to be a function of importing ai files in this latest version of ID.

I'm running illustrator 25.2.1; InDesign 16.1 on Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3.

Had anyone else recently had the same problem?

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What computer - is it the Mac M1?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac Pro 2013 and also MacBook Pro M1... same issues in both

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Double-check your PDF settings when saving the AI file. The only thing InDesign sees is the PDF portion so I would find it quite surprising that saving as PDF would give you a different result.

Make sure it's PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I wouldn't categorize saving as PDF to be a workaround. It's actually the way many would recommend saving the file in Illustrator. Save it as PDF/X-4 with Illustrator editing enabled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share a problem .AI file via Dropbox or your CC account?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines