Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issues with "missing font" that is not missing

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! 

My document has been behaving inconsistently every time I open it. Sometimes there are no fonts missing and other times some or most instances of Avenir are missing. One of the times it showed Avenir missing, it showed Avenir book listed twice. 

I haven't added any changes today but have been opening it throughout the day to try and understand what is going on. 

Also, whenever I open it, it shows as unsaved even if the missing font window doesn't open up. Then sometimes if I save it, wait a few more seconds without adding changes it shows as unsaved again. 

Recently, when I opened it, it showed the pink highlighting on the font without showing the missing font window and all of the "missing font" was weird symbols for a couple of seconds. 

So far I've reset InDesign preferences, saved the document as an IDML and resaved as an INDD, validated Avenir in my font book and checked for duplicates of Avenir but is showing no duplicates in font book. I ended up deleting AvenirLTStd from my font book in case that was considered a duplicate but it still acting weird and inconsistent with Avenir. 

I also tried opening a packaged copy from another older computer and it showed a pop up of "Adobe Garamond Nothing" missing and "Avenir nothing" missing but then didn't show pink highlighting.

I currently have Big Sur 11.1 and InDesign 15.1.1 and have considered upgrading to the latest version but am afraid that could affect something even if I revert to the old version and read that people have had missing or duplicate font bugs that don't get fixed with an upgrade. (but not sure if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong) 

Any ideas on how to solve this? 

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Performance , Print , Publish online , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jamie,

I have no idea how to solve this problem, because I'm on Windows 10.

Only checked if Avenir is a system font of Big Sur 11.1, and indeed, it is:

https://support.apple.com/HT211240

Could it be that a different Avenir, apart from the system font, was once used in your document?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2021 Apr 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Uwe,

Thank you. I does seem like it could be related to Avenir being used at another time at one point. When I first started having issues with missing instances of Avenir, I downloaded Avenir again and then realized that it was a duplicate but then deleted it from my fonts.

I talked with Adobe in a support chat and it seemed that it also partly could've been due to opening the file from a packaged folder that had Avenir in the package and worked when I deleted it from the package.

But it also happened when I'd open a file that wasn't packaged but then seemed to work when I resaved them. But when I tried this again later it was still showing duplicates of Avenir in the file. I ended up replacing all of Avenir and now have only or mostly Adobe fonts in the file. It is now showing duplicates of all of these Adobe fonts when I go into find/ change but hasn't shown any missing yet other than sometimes initially when I restart my computer but the fonts sync quickly. I also updated Indesign to 16.1 but has been crashing more frequently. 

-Jamie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines