Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Large Print Book Formatting Advice Please

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2021 Feb 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Does anyone have experience with producing large print books? There seems to be more than one school of thought but not from anyone specifically using Indesign, which I use for my standard size novels.

What do you think about right and left justified versus left justified and right ragged?

What size interior margin would you recommend?

How about block formatting with no indents but spaces for paragraphs (or each new speech) versus indented first line paragraphs?

All at sea. Directions to the nearest harbour would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

There are too many variables to give a blanket answer to this question as it depends on:

• the intended audience
  • the content of the book
  • if the book is portrait or landscape
  • the overall page size of the book

One go-to resource I will use if the book is to give a professional feel is to use the Australian Government's style guide: https://www.stylemanual.gov.au/ as this gives details not only on formats, but also on conventions for dates, names etc, with a focus on consistency.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

I don't know exactly how you set up your book, but I would make a copy of all your ID files into a new folder. Assuming you used margins and guides correctly, you should be able to use Layout Adjustment on your document size and then double-check your master pages. Then adjust your type styles. Here is a link about the resizing pages:

https://creativepro.com/resizing-document-pages/#:~:text=In%20InDesign%20CS5%20you%20can,in%20amount%20of%20content%20etc.

Another option is to use Alternative L

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pick a style you like and go with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suggest you contact a charity/organisation that deals with partially sighted people and get their advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Eugene and Derek,
It's an interesting journey. I've looked at advice from three organisation that deal with people with varying levels of sight and they all have differing needs. However, I've pieced together suggestions from varying sources and have now I think arrived at a formula. I'm going to list it here in case anyone else is looking for the same answers:
16pt Adobe Garamond Pro

1.5 spacing

1" margins

Right and left aligned
First line of paragraph indented

Trim siz: 6.14 x 9.21

Cover: same as standard but with Large Print sticker on the front.

Please could you suggest a link to show me how to change my current Indesign document template fro my standard size novels to the new settings for large print?

Many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1.5 line spacing is MSWord measurement, in InDesign, you want something like 16pt on 24pt (8pt leading).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Derek. So does that mean linespacing in Indesign is set in pts? So I should set it to 24pts, that is multiplying 16 by 1.5? Just would like to make sure I've understood this correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are too many variables to give a blanket answer to this question as it depends on:

• the intended audience
  • the content of the book
  • if the book is portrait or landscape
  • the overall page size of the book

One go-to resource I will use if the book is to give a professional feel is to use the Australian Government's style guide: https://www.stylemanual.gov.au/ as this gives details not only on formats, but also on conventions for dates, names etc, with a focus on consistency.

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Colin. That's a new resource for me. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are asking many good questions, but they are mostly subjective design questions.

• Justification would depend on the relative size of the column width, the type size, the font, etc. I prefer full (left & right) justification if it doesn't create gaps in the text. ID's hyphenation and justification settings can help prevent this.
  • Interior margin is dependent on the number of pages and the binding method. Best discussed with the printer.
  • I prefer paragraph space for certain documents such as manuals, but novels tend to look better with first-line indents.

Now, if you ask about how to set it up, I'm sure you will get lots of good advice. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Creamer Training. I appreciate your advice and will go with all of that.

Yes, indeed, next step: how do I adapt my existing InDesign standard book size document to the new large print specs.

Please can anyone advise me about that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know exactly how you set up your book, but I would make a copy of all your ID files into a new folder. Assuming you used margins and guides correctly, you should be able to use Layout Adjustment on your document size and then double-check your master pages. Then adjust your type styles. Here is a link about the resizing pages:

https://creativepro.com/resizing-document-pages/#:~:text=In%20InDesign%20CS5%20you%20can,in%20amount....

Another option is to use Alternative Layouts in the same document but would be more difficult to control across a book file.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Creamer Training. I have CS4 but, yes, I will certainly backup my files. I hope it will be ok to come back here if I get stuck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's almost a year later, so I assume you've finished your book. I am also researching this topic though, and I've found a few rabbit trails you (or others who are reading here) may appreciate. https://www.acb.org/content/large-print-guidelines & https://www.aph.org/resources/large-print-guidelines/ Here's hoping these organizations will start talking to each other soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines