• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Leader dots in ToC not working

Contributor ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a fairly advanced ID user, but maybe I've worked at this so long that I can't see the forest for the trees!

I cannot get the leader dots to show up on the chapter number - titles, the leader dots are larger with tracking and 75% black. I don't want them on the subs, there's no room.

ID crashed on me several times on this file so I thought it might be corrupt, saved as an idml -- no luck.

Screen shot settings attached @Barb Binder  @nigelfrench, you two have saved me many times!

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 2.30.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 2.29.25 PM.png

TOPICS
Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Marcy McGuire:

In the first image, you have the right indent triangle selected and not a tab.

1. Click the right align tab icon in the Tab Well (arrow #3).
  2. Click to add the tab above the ruler at around 3.75".
  3. Add the leader dot to the selected tab.
  4. Carefully drag the tab arrow over the right indent triangle (or just type in 4 for the x value.) Try not to slide the mouse up or down.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind--I realized what you were doing for your styles. 

Your settings worked for me, although I normally use a tab [^t] and a right-align tab settings.

Are you sure you don't have a tab off screen to the far-right of your margin?

>>Right indent tabs use the tab leader of the first tab stop past the right margin, or, if there isn't one, the last tab stop before the right margin

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with the way the chapter starts are stylized I had to do two styles. I'm getting closer, but I don't know why my tab character style isn't present. I've dScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 3.28.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-03-04 at 3.28.43 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done lots of ToC, with stylized tabs and this is the first time I can't get to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wanted to use my section heads as the chapters, as they are styled the way I want them, but the ToC won't take them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry--I edited my post as soon as I hit the Post button. (Unfortunately, you can't delete a post.) 

See my question above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware that in your first screenshot you have both and a right align tab and a normal tab (^y^t), your second screenshot shows only the right align tab (^y).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I kept deleting the first tab selection, but somehow it kept coming back. I think my file is corrupt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you mean in the para style?Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 3.38.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good catch, Frans.

I don't use right indent tabs (^y) in a TOC—I just use a regular right tab (^t)—so was giving that advice, earlier.

t1.png

When I use a right indent tab, I seem to still need to set a right-align tab with a leader, but InDesign doesn't seem to care where I put it. Maybe one of you who regularly use right-indent tabs can shed some light on that for me?

t2.png

In any case, you don't need both.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I tried to open the file again I got a message that the file is damaged. 

Days of work down the drain? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb: 

Right indent tabs use the tab leader of the first tab stop past the right margin, or, if there isn't one, the last tab stop before the right margin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, Dave, to add a leader to a right-indent tab, you still have to add a tab stop somewhere along the ruler? In that case, why not just add the right-align tab?

I see the value in a running head where you want text on the left and the right sides (no leader), but I don't see a good reason to use a right-indent tab when you need leaders. Am I still missing something?

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. I always use a right-align tab. However, I could see the benefit of resizing the text frame width and the tabs self-adjusting. (But I'll stick with what I know works...😁)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcy:

When I tried to open the file again I got a message that the file is damaged. 

Days of work down the drain?

Step 1: Save as .idml

Step 2: Work through this list: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

Step 3: Send the file to idfile@adobe.comadobe.com

Step 4: Try https://markzware.com/products/file-recovery-service/

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally just wallked away from the computer and did something else. Maybe it needed a break from me, everything was working this morning.

Are deleting prefs still a thing? I thought with 2020 version it wasn't needed.

Thanks everyone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 05, 2021 Mar 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sometimes software gets stressed out and needs some time off too. 😁

(Unfortunately, deleting prefs is still a first-step trouble-shooting technique.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines