Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Letters uneven in terms of height

Participant ,
Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've just created a document and I want to export it and consider it complete, but I am running into the issue of certain letters in a particular font being different heights when placed next to each other. See below:

The a is lower than the t

IMG_5366.jpgIMG_5367.jpg

Some of the letters in text typed on a curved line are at different heights/positions.

IMG_5368.jpg

The font file isn't corrupt as I've checked in the Mac Font Book to see if anything was wrong with it. I'm just using Helvetica Neue.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Performance , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 28, 2021 Feb 28, 2021

Not exactly, but you can use Baseline Shift to adjust for errant alignment in .1 pt increments.

When I'm working with large type, that level of vertical adjustment in a pinch is a godsend. Especially when setting type on a path, where type alignment can unexpectedly get funky.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you check to see if you have moved the t up by accident. I have never noticed an alignment like that were the baseline was not even.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The T is in line with all the other letters. Is there a way to edit the baseline?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly, but you can use Baseline Shift to adjust for errant alignment in .1 pt increments.

When I'm working with large type, that level of vertical adjustment in a pinch is a godsend. Especially when setting type on a path, where type alignment can unexpectedly get funky.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that advice. I did alter the a in that first picture and looks better now. Strange how that alignment issue really only happens with Helvetica Neue on my computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

With most type design the bowls of lowercase characters hang a bit below the baseline and a bit above the x-height—it’s a standard design practice:

Screen Shot 1.pngScreen Shot 2.pngScreen Shot 3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines