• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Linked File Size Limits

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the file limit size that can be linked?  I have an Illustrator file that I've used to design the pages, then link into InDesign for exporting.  The file is now more than 2 GB and will not link.  Linking a smaller file works correctly.

Is there a work-around for this?  I can't easily separate the file into multiple files as many of the pages are designed along the way.

Thanks

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi displaced7,

interesting. What's your exact version of InDesign and version of operating system?

Maybe that limit points to a limit in your operating system?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What exactly happens when you try? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020-11-17_7-09-49.jpg

That's the error I get.  When I decrease the file size, it will work again (and other linked files work correctly).

I am on Windows 10 and ID 15.0.2

No limits on my computer - 64GB ram, SSD, etc., etc.  I work with 10+ GB files all the time, the only problem is InDesign (and it's extremely frustrating, to say the least).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would try is InDesign 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are working with many artboards, you may want to split it into several files (duplicate the .ai file, then select and delete the unwanted artboards). If you have complex patterns, which may be the source of the error message, you may want to simplify the objects in Illustrator (Object> Path> Simplify) or save the complex patterns as a high-res image, otherwise your printer might have problems in their rip. You could also save as a PDF and run an Acrobat preflight to Convert smooth lines to curves before placing into InDesign, these methods should reduce the number of vector anchor points and reduce the file size.

Do you need to use InDesign? If your pages are already properly set up in Illustrator, why not save as a PDF, using the Illustrator default settings? You can optimize in Acrobat, if you need to reduce the size.

Complex vectors with preflight.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, 1 artboard, beyond a little text and a few logs, there is almost no vectors in the AI file.

Yes, I need to use ID, no way to save a 30 page PDF out of AI easily.  Not to mention, AI often will keep info (images, text, etc.) from layers that are turned off and stick them in the PDF (sometimes you can see them when you edit the PDF or when you first open it).

It's the images in the AI file that make it large (yes, they are all linked, but AI files still balloon quickly w previews - NOTE of the jpgs are embedded).

(sorry for the delay, but here we are again, I am forced to make several AI files and jump back and forth between them all.  I am fairly confident Adobe's software gets worse and worse with each update (Premiere stopped running at all and support had no clue after hours, Acrobat barely runs with the new updates, Ps is unstable, etc., etc. No more auto-updates!)

Does anyone have any ideas?  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One thing I missed in your original post was that this file was 2GB. What in the world is in there?

Try saving as PDF/X-4 from Illy WITHOUT the AI portion of the file. Of course, save it as AI first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why is it saying this is a correct answer?  It is NOT. 

How do I change this??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines