• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Links no longer update automatically

Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if it's due to a recent update, but lately when I make changes to files that are linked in an indesign project, the links don't automatically update, or at the very least, indesign doesn't even show that the links have changed.  This was standard for years.  Am I missing something in preferences?

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

I’m not seeing the probelem on High Sierra, so it might be a Catalina issue. Catalina’s permissions are fussier, you might want to check if thats the issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2020 Apr 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue already for a while, hoping there is a solution.
Running InDesign 15.0.2 on OS 10.15.4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

Does this happen with only one file (could be corruption) or to all files (you may need to restore your preferences)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Steve,

As mentioned it's Mac OS 10.15.4 and InDesign 15.0.2. It happens to all files and on both Macs I am using.

For example I edit a photo using Option+double clicking, the photo would open in Photoshop, and I save it.

Back in InDesign, instead of automatically updating, a yellow triangle shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 01, 2020 May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m not seeing the probelem on High Sierra, so it might be a Catalina issue. Catalina’s permissions are fussier, you might want to check if thats the issue:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203538

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rob,

Repairing permissions did it. Links are now automatically updating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanx, same problems here, repairing permissions in privacy settings were the solution!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue. Running the same version of InDesign and OS.
It's a bit of pain, but I just give InDesign a prod by Option-clicking the Update Link button to update all modified links. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such an issue on the Windows side

On OSx 10.15.5 and ID 15.03 neither.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2021 Jan 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The link to the solution for this issue doesn't seem to be working. I'm having this issue and would like to know what the solution was.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 06, 2022 Sep 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Still an issue in InDesign v17.4 on Monterey 12.5.1!

Here's the crazy part — Illustrator DOES this! Why wouldn't this functionality be identical in both Illustrator AND InDesign?? If Adobe had to choose between the two (which is absurd), wouldn't it make more sense to auto-update links in a program that's dedicated to placing linked assets into a layout?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines