• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Major issue - Indesign allowing multiple users to open the same file

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At work we are having issues with people being able to open an indesign file when someone else has already got it open and working on it.

This is very dangerous and causing real problems.

We have updated to the latest version very recently 16.1 but the same problem exists.

I know that when a second or third person opens the same file 'read-only' appear in the file name and you can't write over the file, but the read-only wording is small and easy to miss when working under pressure. 

Why has this changed? Is anyone working on fixing this? The old way of just not allowing it to be opened by multiple users is the only way to work when we have 20 staff all working remotely!

Please can anyone shed some light on this and what the situation is

TOPICS
Bug , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2021 Feb 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No one else experiencing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have never experienced that. 

InDesign creates an .idlk (indesign lock file) that's a hidden file.

Unless everytime someone opens a file it creates the idlk file on the persons computer instead of the server (maybe in a temp folder).

You'd have to get your IT to look at that though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Andy,

I experience this for several years with several versions of InDesign when working with a Windows server system at university. So this is nothing new to me. So in my opinion nothing has really changed. I'm not the IT person for that university, so I cannot tell why this happens and how the details are in regards to permission handling.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/2-users-able-to-open-same-indesign-document/td-p/8958433

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/more-than-one-person-opening-the-same-indesign-document/td-p...

As we see in this links this bug is alive by years. Sometime it killed, sometime is have "walking-dead" state. Report about your problem to the support. 

P.S. I do recommend as in this links use it workflow with InCopy, when only one user can work with indd on InDesign. 

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines