Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make objects appear in sequence on click

Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2021 Jan 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

How can I make object appear in sequence, each after a click and without buttons.

Here's what I am trying to do:

My idea is to have a document (PDF) which can be printed and presented on screen.

For example I have a page with three paragraph of text. On the print, I would like to see the three paragraphs of text. On the screen I would like that the first paragraph is already there, the second appear with a mouse click, and the third with another mouse click.

The way I have been doing this is to have a presentation PDF with 3 pages, and I deleted tha parts of text in the first and second pages. But of course I end up with a Print PDF and Presentation PDF. 

I thought I could rather animate that and have a single pdf file (and also a sing indd file).

I don't think you can animate the content of the text boxes, so I have three text boxes, I can the second box with 1st and 2nd paragraph to appear on click but not the third.

Any ideas?

Thanks, N

TOPICS
EPUB , Feature request , How to , Print , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There was an old plugin that did this - not sure if it still works with the latest release. (It's been years since i used it) https://www.aquafadas.com/documentation/prod_service_calenco/en/Create_a_digital_document_via_InDesi...

You could make an alternative Layout of your Single Print page and then break it into three separate pages (1 for each text box) and use the Presentation mode when displaying it. This gives the added advantage of linking the text boxes so you can update the text in one and it updates the other layout as well.

Let me know how this works for you please.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Ian Sayers 

Yes, that is a good suggestion. I had, in the meantime, discovered Alternate Layouts and and have been exploring it. I was precisely thinking about that workaround, with the suplication of pages on the alternate. Linking text boxes is also a great function that I did not know. Together with the possibility of changing the styles for the presentation adds many possibilities.

On that note I have posted another question, which perhaps you could look at, if you have experience with Alternate Layouts. here's the Link: How to have new page to Alternate Layout?

Thanks, N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the second appear with a mouse click, and the third with another mouse click."

Where do you want the user to click the mouse?

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Jane @jane-e 

I was thinking any click or forward arrow. Similar to a PowerPoint animation - click appear object, next click appears next object. When there's no other animation next page... very basic...

Thanks , N

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign you have two choices:

• Select the frame and convert it to a button
  • Draw an invisible frame on top of the text and convert it to a button
    If you have invisible frames, put them on a separate layer 

Format the button with the hide/show element to show the next button when clicked.

Here is the Help file from Acrobat that shows how it works. InDesign allows some PDF formatting. Anything that can't be done in InDesign needs to be tweaked in Acrobat.

https://helpx.adobe.com/sign/using/form-field-conditions-settings.html

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wish the show hide buttons extended to show hide layers in InDesign. You can show/Hide layers in Acrobat with buttons actions but not InDesign...

It would make things a lot easier.

@nsgma what @jane-e mentions is a great way to show or hide buttons and would work but takes a little time on building the document with the correct layers to control the elements needed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines