• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

More than one person opening the same inDesign document.

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

inDesign used to block a person from opening a document if it was already open by another user.

Now it opens the document as a read only for the second person BUT there is no warning that it is read only, just a small box at the top says read only.

The second person can make corrections, but then they have to save-as which means there are two different versions.

This has screwed up several files for us.

On the last one a second person opened the document saw it was read only so he closed it, which made the first person's file suddenly say read only.

All the corrections were lost.

Can this be changed?

We are on the latest version and the documents are kept on a server.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is definitely NOT designed for multiuser access. This has always been true and nothing has changed.

That's why the InDesign - InCopy workflow was designed. Multiple people can be given assigments from the InDesign document to work on in InCopy, and they are then updated in the InDesign copy of the file.

How to create & use Adobe InCopy CC workflows - Adobe Support

InCopy is included in an Creative Cloud subscription, and an InCopy subscription is inexpensive. Down to $4.99 per month, based on an annual subscription:

https://indesignsecrets.com/adobe-reduces-incopy-cc-subscription-fee.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not about to tell everyone they have to learn InCopy. I am talking about corrections to a finished document. On older versions of InDesign the file would not even open up. Is there a preference we can change to make that happen again?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There may be some server-side software that's having an effect on the opening process. But, as far as I know, nothing has changed on the InDesign side.

And because that workflow is clearly not supported by Adobe, you're on your own.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve, I don't appreicate the tone that you are conveying with your replies. The fact is that in every previous version of InDesign, a user could not open a document that was already open by another user. This is crucial in my work, and for some reason, now it has been changed and done away with. I am not alone here which is why this thread exists so if you don't have an actual solution to this PROBLEM, then please don't make condescending remarks about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have a file server, but I shared a folder and opened a file in ID. When I tried to open it on the second computer, I got this dialog box:

A couple of things come to mind...

• The files are being upgraded up to the new 2018 format. The file will show the title, but actually be an unsaved version of the file with [converted] on the end.
  • It's a server issue as Steve mentioned. It may be ignoring the lock file.

Just to be clear, we are not discussing a Dropbox or OneDrive type server--correct?

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am the only designer working with 5 editors which all want to do the editing in adobe indesign, not incopy. We have had this issue once. We check files in and out and keep a version control system

what is the version controls system you have, can you show a screenshot of the folder that holds the indesign file and other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have the same issue in our office. Three artists and all of us can open the SAME InDesign file and work on it at the same time!   It DOES show the .idlk file that says it is locked but it still can be opened by another artist.  This is very bad and dangerous for fiels not getting the changed and saved. Then it goes to Press incorrect.
How do I get InDesign to actually lock the files like it did before. 
We just recently updated computers and software. (MacOS Big Sur, Verson 11:1 and InDesign 2021 16.0.2) 
We have always had the same setup with files on a server at all of the jobs I have worked at so it shouldn't be the server. And I agree that we do not want another program to use to fix the issues in this program. Adobe needs to find a fix it please. The .idlk file is supoose to lock it, it isnt.  It does not give us the warning it is opened on another computer either. 
Help Please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whatever issue you're having it is not the same. This discussion is three years old and you'll get a lot more traction without confusion by starting a new one with full details.

That said, there have been quite a few issues reported with Big Sur (you said you just updated the machines, so it may well be a network or Apple issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I didn't notice that. Will do. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2021 Mar 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sunshine angel -- did you get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Never mind -- I found your other post! I hope they get this fixed!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

no not yet, still waiting for an update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines