• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

MS Word and Style Mapping... UGH!!

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2021 Mar 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am working on a project taking a MS Word into InDesign. The document is over 200 pages. It has lots of footnotes and endnotes on each page. I created in InDesign my Paragraph Styles and Character Styles, naming them Title Text, Body Text, Footnote Text and Endnote Text. For Character Style, I only created Footnote Text.

I clicked on >Place >MS Word doc, >Show Import Options >Include Footnote and Endnote >Customize Style Import >Style Mapping >Selected all the styles I created in InDesign. I wanted to ensure footnotes and endnotes were mapped correctly, so I placed a random color like PINK in my styles.

After it was PLACED, all the styles placed correctly, except when the footnotes and endnotes.  The Paragraph Style and Character Style I created did not placed.  There’s gotta be a better way other than manually going to each footnote and endnote.

I went to different sites including this one: Solving Word Workflow Problems With Style Mapping | CreativePro Network and no success, UGH! I even changed my MS WORD doc into a .rft and it did nada.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2021 Mar 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And just to be sure, at the top of the Microsoft Word Import Options you switched on include Footnotes and Endnotes, yes?

Also, another question: in Microsoft Word, these are real footnotes, not separate text boxes that look like footnotes, right?

Also, I cannot understand why you would make a character style named Footnote Text. I would remove that, and make sure your Character Style panel was defaulted to None and try again.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 24, 2021 Mar 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Thank you for reading my post. Please read below:

• Yes, I included both Footnotes and Endnotes from the Microsoft Word Import Options.
  • Yes, these are Microsoft Word, real footnotes,  and not separate text boxes.
  • I changed the character style to none as directed, and still the imported text was not placed correctly.  I asked for a CENTURY GOTHIC font and in PINK to ensure the paragraph style.  Instead it gave me Calibri/Black. In addition the footnote number is a bigger font then footnote text and its not even Calibri. Please see below.Footnote Test.PNG

Help please 🙂

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doris, what have you set under Type > Document Footnote Options > Footnote Formatting? Have you set the paragraph style there, too? The same goes for endnotes. Check on Type > Document Endnote Options > Endnote Formatting, to make sure it is not still set on Basic Paragraph or some such.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2021 Mar 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike,

Again thank you for taking the time to reply to my post. I have good news and bad news.

• Good News:  Your advice in Type > Document Footnote Options > Footnote Formatting was very useful (thank you!!) and was I able to obtain the "part" of the paragraph style and color.
  • Bad News: MS Word dominated the text and is still Calibri.  I changed the character style, before placing the document and still end up being the same. See below. 

I also followed Barb's advice and that worked as well.

Footnote Test 2.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Doris5E1F:

I have a similar workflow and use Find/Change to style the footnotes. Important: first I use Find/Change to find the inline formatting (i.e., Italics and Small Caps) to assign character styles, then:

1.png2.png

This could have been a Text F/C. No idea why I used GREP, but made it years ago. After cleaning up the text, I search for a tab (at that point they don't appear anywhere else), replace with an en space (because that is what I use after the superscript number) and assign the Footnote style.

Fun fact: @Mike Witherell taught me how to use the nested style to apply superscript up to 1 en space in these footnotes, 20+ years ago. Been using it ever since, Mike! 😊

Fun fact 2: Thanks to @Manan Joshi, my lengthy sequence of F/C queries to clean up and format this doc are saved in a Find/Change by List script so I just have to click once. 

It takes a village, and I am very grateful to my village. 🙏🏼

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Thank you for taking the time to review and reply to my post. I replied to Mike's response see above. Your advice was very useful. 🙂  You're right it does take a village and I am very grateful as well. 🙂

v/r

D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Barb,

(It's your world! I'm just a squirrel ... )

Here is some more interesting facts, and this may be gradually changing, but most style guides have superscripted numbers in the text, but the number that begins the footnote does not superscript. However, ever since Microsoft Word came along and superscripted the footnote numbers, too, a whole generation has become used to seeing them that way, and nowadays I see footnote entries at the bottom of the page superscripted more often than not. Of course, it should be admitted that typesetting style guides are never really written in stone, but continually change across time.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Mike: I agree that non-superscript numbers in the note are standard—and the default in FrameMaker notes—but this is client-driven. 

And Doris: We are happy to be part of your village. 😊

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines