Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need entity code for "Ctrl + \" (Indent to Here) and alignment glossary terms

Participant ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Team,

Requirement 1: When I flow the XML file in InDesign the glossary terms' abbreviated text flows to the left side. For alignment purposes, I inserted the shortcut "Ctrl + \"  (Indent to Here) into the InDesign file. Each time I manually enter this "Ctrl + \" code in Indesign. I need the entity code to permanently fix this command in the XML stage.  See below the screenshot of my requirements. Please suggest.

Requirement 1:

Input:

kanagakumar_0-1714026032244.png

Output:

kanagakumar_1-1714026091193.png

Requirement 2: I manually give the 1p2 visual space (tab) after measuring the longest entry glossary text. I need the longest glossary terms are automatically measured, and 1p2 of visual space is next given in the tab. Is it possible to execute the script to fix this comment?. Character style and paragraph style names given below screen shot for your reference.

Requirement 2:

Input:

kanagakumar_2-1714027302667.png

Output:

kanagakumar_3-1714027362248.png

kanagakumar_5-1714028397587.png

I'm spending more manual effort on this kind of work. Could someone help to reduce my manual work?

Thanks

kk

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @kanagakumar 
Requirement 1:
This pattern should specifically find instances where a tab character is sandwiched between two text characters. Try using this pattern in Adobe InDesign's Find/Change dialog box.

Find: (?<=\S)\t(?=\S)
Change: $0~i

Thanks,
Prabu
Design smarter, faster, and bolder with InDesign scripting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Anantha Prabu,

Thank you for your grep coding.

My actual requirement 1 is, i need entity code for "Indent to HereCtrl+\.

My workflow is xml background so i avoid manual find and replace work in indesign. If you provide entity coding for this comment (Ctrl+\) it is very useful for me. I will fix this issue in xml stage.

Thanks

kk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@kanagakumar

I'm on my phone so can't help you right now - but have you tried to export sample text and see how it will be encoded?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Robert Tkaczyk,

Thank you for your suggestions.

Please see below the export coding screen shot:

kanagakumar_0-1714109278949.png

I cannot understand this coding format. Kindly advise.

I here attached sample indesign file and export xml files for your reference (Indent to Here sample.indd and Indent to Here sample.xml)

Thanks

kk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not sure if it's helpful but searching for ZWNBSP brings up these results, among others:

https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/U+FEFF

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_joiner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Eugene Tyson,

I have given the "Indent to Here" Unicode (U+0007 ) based on your provided pdf.

When i was given "&#x0007;" decimal code, this xml file is not flowing in InDesign; xml import error is displayed. This decimal code is not accepted. See below the screen shot.

kanagakumar_1-1714111946747.png

kanagakumar_0-1714111794457.png

Please advise.

Thanks

kk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it better to go back to basics here

Maybe instead of an indent to here - have paragraph styles setup for your XML import 

And the paragraph style should be 

Indent to 10mm

Negative first line indent -10mm

That would do ideally the same thing - you can adjust the 10mm and -10mm to what you need.

Just an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Team,

Still, i am waiting for your support.

Thanks

kk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 02, 2024 May 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Support for what? This is a user to user forums - and people have given their suggestions to get it to work for you.

If it's not working or you can't use the methods you need to elaborate on what is and isn't working for you and only then can the users of the forum help you.

Without further information on what you have tried and why you can't use a first line indent (as I asked but got no feedback from you) - well I guess we will be stuck if you cannot give us some clues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines