• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Nested Style for Photo Credit after cutline

Community Beginner ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone, I have a question about Nested Styles. I've created a "Generate Static Caption" style that creates the correct styling for the cutline, but I have to manually style the photo credit each time. Is there a way to create a nested style that will possibly style the photo credit to be different than the cutline. Maybe something that could style the line of text in reverse until the last period? I'm not sure how to do it, because you can't have it maintain one style up until the period, because sometimes, a cutline can have multiple periods within it. If anyone has any hacks for this. I'd appreciate it. Thanks! I've attached an example below.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 5.05.34 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2019 Oct 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flathead Beacon. Yes, you can do this with a nested style you just need to inverse the logic: set up the font for the paragraph style, and then create a character style for the description.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 6.13.24 PM.png

Nest the character style through 1 Sentences.

Screen Shot 2019-10-07 at 6.19.17 PM.png

Then assign the paragraph style via the captions dialog box.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 08, 2019 Oct 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Barb, that does work, but occasionally we have dates, or abbreviations that may have a period in them, which seems to be the indicator for the end of the sentence which causes it to format incorrectly. Any thoughts?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi.

It's more a job for grep styles than for nested styles.

If your cutline always end with a period, the following regex should do the job:

Regex deleted like Adobe did with the old valuable posts and international forum posts

Otherwise, you need to add the ending characters in the negative character class (between the square brackets)

Here's an example that allows you to end  your legend with ?, ! or ellipsis:

Regex deleted like Adobe did with the old valuable posts and international forum posts

https://community.adobe.com/t5/InDesign/Call-to-strike-on-Adobe-Forum/m-p/10656317

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Vinnie, I've never used Grep before, but I can give it a shot. What happens is that occasionally there is more than one period in the Cutline, which makes the style begin to early in the sentence.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Could you use a colon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Flathead Beacon. The GREP Vinny provided works from the end of the paragraph back to the last period (the opposite of the nested style). So if you have one or more periods on the line, you will still be OK (as long as the final character isn't a period—which it isn't in either of the two examples shared so far). Note that formatting logic reversed again. Now you will want to define the paragraph style to work for the cutline and apply the character style to the photo credit.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines