• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opening Pagemaker (.p65) files

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a bunch of .p65 files that I need to open and convert to InDesign. I was able to open them a few months ago but cannot seem to be able to replicate now.

I have both CC (InDesign 2019) and CS5.5 running on Mac OS 10.14.4.

When I try to open the .p65 in CS5.5, I get an error: "The PageMaker document is damaged and cannot be recovered."

When I try to open in CC, I get this error: Cannot open the file "xxxx.p65". Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application.

Again, I know I was able to open these docs a few months ago, but I didn't think to convert them (dumb).

Any ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

I recall that you have to download an earlier version of InDesign (I think it was InDesign CS6) from the Creative Cloud Desktop app to open Pagemaker documents.

Ah, yes, there's a Help file which confirms that:

Can't Open Pagemaker files in InDesign CC solution

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I recall that you have to download an earlier version of InDesign (I think it was InDesign CS6) from the Creative Cloud Desktop app to open Pagemaker documents.

Ah, yes, there's a Help file which confirms that:

Can't Open Pagemaker files in InDesign CC solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Steve. Per your link, it says "Adobe InDesign CS2 to CS6 can open Adobe PageMaker 6.0-7.x publications and templates."

I am, however, finding that I cannot open it in CS5.5, so I'm still having a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you like to make a sample PageMaker file available I could test to open it with:

InDesign CS4, CS5, CS5.5 or CS6 on Mac OS X 10.11.6.

InDesign CS6 on Windows 10.

Upload the file to Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link so we could test this.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, here's a file to test. Got the same error message in CS6.

Dropbox - spring 2001.p65 - Simplify your life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

no issue with InDesign CS6 on Windows 10.

Here is the converted file:

Dropbox - 190507-1-Open PageMaker File with InDesign.zip - Simplify your life

Here the screenshot after I opened the file:

WarningMessageAfterConversion.PNG

And of course there are placed and linked images missing.

The conversion cannot be perfect.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my conversion using Indesign CS6 for Macintosh.

Dropbox - spring 2001.idml - Simplify your life

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Scott,

what's your eaxct OS X version?

I assume the issue is the new file system in Mac OS X 10.14.4.

So InDesign CS5.5 or CS6 cannot convert. Both versions are not supported on that system.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone. It must be the updated OS...have to figure out another way to convert the other 39 files I have....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender  wrote

Hi Scott,

what's your eaxct OS X version?

I assume the issue is the new file system in Mac OS X 10.14.4.

So InDesign CS5.5 or CS6 cannot convert. Both versions are not supported on that system.

Regards,
Uwe

10.13.6 (17G5019)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are also missing fonts, overset text, overset stories, but you can access the overset contents using the Story Editor Window.

All images that were placed and linked will not show their links in the Links panel. Only the images that were embedded will show up in the Links panel.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option to install a CS6 is no longer available, at least for me anyways. The only older version i can instal is CC 13.1.

Are there any other methods?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2019 May 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You’ll need to contact customer support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Did you have a different OS X some months ago?

Could you use InDesign CS5.5 on an earlier Mac OS X and try again to open the PageMaker file?

Maybe something is broken with CS5.5 when run on  OS X 10.14.4 after a system update.

( CS5.5. is not supported on this system. )

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will need InDesign CS6 or earlier for a direct conversion for Pagemaker files. As far as using CS5.5 is concerned the problem may be that CS5.5 is not supported for Mac OS 10.14.4 (or any version later than 10.10). The fact that CS5.5 is working at all for you is some kind of miracle so you can't expect for all of its functions to perform as they used to. It may also be totally related to the fact that Mojave does not support any version of InDesign that would have been able to make the conversion and so would not support the conversion function. Have you updated to Mojave since you made your last conversion?

If its possible for you to install your CS5.5 on an older machine then you have a shot at making the conversions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Working" may be a bit of an overstatement, but I can at least open and do some touch ups in CS5.5.

Downloading CS6 from CC now. If that fails, I may take you up on your offer, Laubender​.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 15, 2019 May 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Stumbled upon this thread whilst also looking for a solution.

Would someone be willing to convert six .p65 files to InDesign for me?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 15, 2020 Oct 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi im_fb - I just googled this same question, and I happen to have inDesign CS6 and just confirmed it opened up one of my ancient (1998!) .p65 files. I know this is super late to your post, but if you are still hoping for a conversion, I'd help you out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just received an .p65 file that I need opened. Are you able and willing to do it for me? Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi redwoldgirl - Yes, I could - without sharing my email address publicly, any idea on how to share the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have them message you directly on this board. We have the option to message each other directly here without sharing email addresses.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!! I could put it in a dropbox, then message you the link. Will that work? Then you could drop the new indd file in that same dropbox.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just send you a PM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I just happened upon the same issue and was wondering if you could still help out with this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I should be able to. If you want to follow what redwolfgirl66 did - send me a PM with a link to the file in a dropbox folder, then I should be able to convert it and add the file back. (or if it's not private, it looks like we can also attach files to these posts)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines