• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Outline text with bullets & numbering

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to outline bullets and numbering along with text in Indesign cc 2018. Once I click "create outlines" bullets and numbering would disappear. Is it just me? Does anyone else experience this issue?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Why you would like to outline any text is beyond me.

But if you must, try the following:

1. Select the Numbered or Bulleted paragraphs.
  2. Under the Options menu of the Paragraph panel, choose either "Convert Numbering to Text" OR "Convert Bullets to Text."
  3. Outline your text and the numbers or bullet will not disappear, they will be outlined.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Like the others who have responded to you, I will note that “outlining text” is an exceptionally poor workflow practice. The exceptions are:

(1)     You need to achieve some artistic effect with some limited text that cannot otherwise be achieved with other InDesign effects that work with text.

(2)     You need vectors for purposes of sending artwork to sign cutting or similar systems that cannot handle text as realized via fonts.

The fact that you are concerned about full paragraphs with bullets a

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

defaultks8d4yvdbu1n said:

"For example Im working within the signage and wayfinding sector, I outline text daily."

Yes. Perfectly doable within Acrobat Pro with a loaded PDF exported from InDesign.

Here are the steps:

Open the exported PDF in Acrobat Pro DC.

Go to Print Production > Preflight

Select "Acrobat Pro DC 2015 Profiles".
Then list and select Single Fix Ups > Document > Convert fonts to outlines

Now run the single fix up with button Fix.

Forgot to add this screenshot from Acrobat P

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2023 Apr 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works as designed, then the design sucks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant believe how moderators in the forum belittle genuine questions. Yes, we need to be able to convert fonts to paths and no, this is not a poor workflow.

There are many good reasons we need to convert, one big one is Adobe's poor font management in general. Very often cloud fonts just get dropped, so to convert to paths is the only way to "lock in" a design, unless you use Google fonts (which in general are much more reliable than Adobes chaotic font licensing). I was even told by one moderator to do just that if I want to make sure my designs don't get altered because of the Adobe font issues. The fact that moderators now say this is bad workflow just shows how these things run around in circles at Adobe. Just fix the thing for crying out loud and stop trying to cover up a bug.

I would really appreciate if moderators would focus on a good answers, rather than spill out bad vibes and do so multiple times in a single thread. I mean seriously, how many moderators have to repeat the concept of a "bad workflow", which in this case doesnt even apply.

The fact of the matter is that Adobe does not allocate enough dev time to apps like InDesign. Development there has been very slow and bugs just get carried over from one version to the next. 

I really hope Adobe fixes this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, that answers are correct. You can convert fonts correctly into paths, not in InDesign, but in Acrobat Pro. Do it there. This is the only way to do it without destroying the original and also involving objects from the master/parent pages, also involving footnotes and endnotes and cross references. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very often cloud fonts just get dropped, so to convert to paths is the only way to "lock in" a design, unless you use Google fonts (which in general are much more reliable than Adobes chaotic font licensing)

If the font is missing outlining won’t help because—well the font is missing. None of Adobe’s fonts have embedding restrictions, so there should be no problem exporting a PDF with all the fonts embedded.

It will never happen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is nothing to fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to stop other components from disappearing when converting a file to outlines in Indesign. I can see the fix for bullets, but what about underlines, tables and text that is on top of anchored filled-in boxes. All my artwork must be changed to outlines to prevent any interference with the files, as my artwork is regulated and approved before sending the printers. Will Adobe ever fix this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 23, 2024 Feb 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As pointed out over and over and over again, there is nothing to fix. Read the entire discussion for your choices.

This discussion has long since run its course so I'm locking it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines