Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Packaging cannot create folders on NAS SMB Share

Explorer ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I am using a NAS connected over SMB on Mac OSX Sierra mainly as a fileserver (and some Timemachine Backups).

The problem I have is with packaging files from Adobe Indesign to the NAS. When I try packaging an Indesign file I get the error message that folders could not be created.

I guess this is because of some permission problem in the packaging process, but do not know how to sove this. Any Ideas?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Hi Armin

We believe we have a fix available for the same. Can you follow the steps mentioned in the following KB document - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-save-as-nas-server.html and confirm if it resolves your issue?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Talk to the server admin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2017 Oct 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that's me. I am using a Qnap NAS TS-251+ as file server. I asked the same question on the Qnap forums hoping to find someone with the same problem or mor technical knowledge.

I am asking the quesiont here, because I hope someone knows about the technical details of the packagin process. As I wrote earlier, I think it has to do with what process, and therefore what account, Indesign uses to create folders for the package. Obiously it is not the user that is connected to the NAS, because this user would have privileges to create folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you please provide more information -

• OS
  • Try to save a document on the Qnap NAS TS-251+ as file server
  • Try to Open a document from the Qnap NAS TS-251+ as file server
  • Try to SaveAs document from the Qnap NAS TS-251+ as file server
  • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?

Send a mail to santalwa@adobe.com with all information.

Sanyam Talwar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2017 Oct 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Unfortunately the situation became worse with Adobe CC 2018:

Before the update I could save, open and save as without problems. Just the packaging did not work - screenshot of the error message:Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-25 um 20.01.53.png

Since the update saving a document will result in Indesign crashing. I am not the only one with this problem. See thread here: Re: InDesign CC 2018 Crashing: "The network connection was lost for the file"

and screenshots here (first it says the connection to the nework is lost - not true. After clicking ok Indesign crashes with the next error message):

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-25 um 20.07.03.png

Bildschirmfoto 2017-10-25 um 20.07.13.png

Restoring (like suggested in the error message) never worked for me from the NAS. Indesing would always say that it can not find the file.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 29, 2017 Dec 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI, conte0815

Did you ever resolve this issue? I've got a similar NAS and can open/save the files just fine. However, it was presenting the same type of error if we try to package to the NAS.

One workaround I found was that connecting to QNAP via AFP:// (instead of SMB://) solved the issue. I had disabled AFP during NAS setup because of all the news about High Sierra and Apple's deprecation of AFP. However, it looks like Print projects will keep us on AFP for a bit longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2017 Dec 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi adrious,

thank you for your suggestion. I have not yet resolved the issue with packaging, but had a couple of live sessions with Adobe support about the saving problem. They sent me a possible fix to test and I guess they will soon distribute an update.

About the packaging problem I am also in contact with Qnap Support and they also suggested some things to try - i will update this thread if I get a solution.

Reverting back to AFP is a good suggestion and maybe I'll do that. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe released a patch for this a couple of weeks ago, I think:

"InDesign crashes while saving a file on a network drive "

--db

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly - but only for the problem that Indesign CC 2018 crashed while trying to save a .indd-file to the NAS (was never a problem with Indesign CC 2017 or older versions).

But the problem here is, that Indesign (no matter what version), does not allow to package files to the NAS because it does not have the necessary privileges to create the folders für the package (at least, that's what I suspect).

According to Qnap support Adobe probably uses some strange mechanisms that result in performing the packagin process as a different user then the one running the program and being connected to the NAS. Resulting in insufficiant write privileges on the NAS.

eg. "User A" is using the iMac and is connected to a SMB share on the NAS with his account "Networkuser A" that has full read/write permissions to this share. Now "User A" opens Indesign, creates a .indd-document and saves it to the share. "User A" wants to send that file together with all linked images and fonts to someone else and chooses "File - package..." [Option+Shift+Command+P] from the Indesign menu. The package folder should also be created on the same SMB share, but can not because Indesign can not finish with the error message saying "Folders could not be created because of privileges".

So - WHY is that? Creating a folder via Finder works, Microsoft Word can create folders (as it does e.g. when creating a PDF), no other program has that problem!

Possible explanation: Adobe Indesign does not try to create the folders as "User A" but maybe as "System Account XYZ" which does not have write permission on the SMB share (but on the local filesystem - that is why it works locally, but not on a NAS)

But HOW to configure the NAS correctly, if it is not possible to find out if this is the actual problem. I can not give write permission to "everyone" on the network.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 01, 2018 Jan 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Armin

We believe we have a fix available for the same. Can you follow the steps mentioned in the following KB document - https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-save-as-nas-server.html and confirm if it resolves your issue?

Regards

Sanyam Talwar

InDesign Engineering Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2019 Feb 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We do have the same problem with Adobe InDesign 14.0.1. and MAC 10.14.3

We just can extract a folder to our NAS System. It creates a folder but then its empty.

Is there a bugfix for the actual version of InDesign 2019?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 22, 2018 Feb 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
Om
InDesign Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines