• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

PDF export without revealing in Finder

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a setup where I am running a script to do some data merging and PDF export. Every time I run the script to export, Indesign does reveal the PDF in Finder, but I don't want it to. The checkbox "View PDF after exporting" is unchecked in all my presets. Are there any other settings that I am unaware of that might cause this?

TOPICS
Import and export , Print , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Try setting the property exportAsSinglePages to false

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the property exportAsSinglePages to false

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that was it. Thank you! The only problem is I need them to be as single pages. Will that require them to open the folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think in that case you will have to export single pages in a loop, using this feature opens up the folder even when done manually. Did you try setting userInteractionLevel to false and see if it makes any difference.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it still opens a new window. But good to know that this is a standard behaviour. I'll see if I put it in a loop as you suggest or just create a macro to close the Finder windows. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Standard behaviour? Not on my machine...

Try setting the viewPdf option in your script (since it is a per app setting and NOT per preset)

app.pdfExportPreferences.viewPDF = false;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jens Trost 

It's not about the pdf being opened after export, but the folder where the export is made is opened when using the SingePages option. I tried on a MAC CC2020 and could not stop the finder window from opening when this option is selected, even when exporting manually. Is this not the case on your end?

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Manan Joshi 

yea I realized that after my post, but thought "maybe give it a try anyway" 😄

How exactly are you exporting?
I just verified it again with this one liner – no Finder window.

app.activeDocument.dataMergeProperties.exportFile("~/Desktop/test.pdf",app.pdfPresets.itemByName("test"));

So no it is not the case on my end, but maybe you're doing it in a different way.
In fact I had to code an extra execute() line in my script since I specifically wanted an option in my script to show the PDF in Finder 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Okay I'm sorry, forget all I've said.
I totally confused exportAsSinglePages with exportReaderSpreads... so YES I do get the Finder window.

So you propably have to loop through the pages after all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines