• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Place source

Explorer ,
Jan 30, 2021 Jan 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What directory does the "Place" command use to find the object to place?  How can that be changed?

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's dependent on the application and the operating system, as well as any third party software you are running.

Please tell us what operating system (exactly) you're running. Please tell us (exactly) what InDesign version you're using.

There are utilties (like Default Folder on the Mac) that are very good for specifying what folder will be used in the Place dialog, or other dialogs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System here is PC, Win10-64 bit Ver 20 04 Build 19041.746, InDesign ver 2021  16.0.1x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As for other third-party software, OneDrive, Google Drive and Dropbox drivers are running, oh, and Snagit and security stuff. Those are enough to stifle all sorts of things but Adobe CC stuff mostly runs nicely. Haven't had a crash in years! . . . well maybe for a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, it will use either the folder the opened/saved InDesign document is in, or the folder where the last element placed into your InDesign application resided at the time it was placed. I say that, because if you immeidiately move the source element into another folder, your operating system will know the difference but InDesign will not. It will go back to the previous folder and not the new one.

By itself, InDesign isn't "smart enough" to know which folder it "should" go to; it's only smart enough to know the folder it last reached into.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System here is PC, Win10-64 bit Ver 20 04 Build 19041.746, InDesign ver 2021  16.0.1x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Randy, it sounds like that is what is happening.  I'll play with it some more.  Unfortunately, I have articles arranged in section folders. There is confusing information in the InDesign Help files in that the latest (I think) says the default directory can be changed in the "Preferences/File Handling" which does nothing for "Paste" and doesn't even seem to work properly when making a change to the directory indicated in the dialog box.
I will play with what you described and see what happens.

Thank you to all for the replies.

Bill Peters 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry I meant "Place" not "Paste" in my Reply to Randy's message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines