• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing formatted table not working

Community Beginner ,
Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I try to place a formatted Excel table is loses the formatting.

Separate Excel sheet with just the table.

Excel table.pngInDesign import options.pngIn Design result.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 02, 2021 Feb 02, 2021

You don't actually have Basic Table selected - Table Style is grayed out when you choose formatted table. 

BUT -- there is a dialog box that pops up whenever you place a formatted table, and it defaults to changing back to un-formatted. If you just hit return without looking, you could be unwittingly de-formatting your table on import. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.15.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to your screenshots, your table is being dressed up as "Basic Table".

Instead, carefully pre-build cell styles. Then pre-build Table Styles that knit the cell styles together.

Now you are ready to place and choose your Table Style to dress your Excel table data.

Mike Witherell

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought that if I place as a formatted table, it would bring in the Excel formatting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You don't actually have Basic Table selected - Table Style is grayed out when you choose formatted table. 

BUT -- there is a dialog box that pops up whenever you place a formatted table, and it defaults to changing back to un-formatted. If you just hit return without looking, you could be unwittingly de-formatting your table on import. 

Screen Shot 2021-02-02 at 11.15.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

OMG.  That is exactly what I was doing.  Just clicking OK on popup box.  I didn't actually read what the box was saying.  Dumb rookie mistake.  Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines