• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Placing multipage PDF in InDesign has stopped working for me.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I'm trying to place a multipage PDF in InDesign (17.2) using the default Place function and it's not working for me, I'm only getting the first page of the PDF document. Same thing happens if I opt for 'All' page or a page range.
This method has worked for me until today. Any ideas what's causing this issue?
Thanks

TOPICS
Feature request , Import and export , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Hi All,
@peterc95308127 @benr40708230 @telred18,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to replicate the issue at our end. The product team has started investigating the issue. I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44963242-17-2-0-18-place-multi-page-pdf-pages-place-gun-wi) if not done already.

In the meantime, you may try the following workaround as suggested by @Laubender until the fix is released:

1. Load

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to clarify, you've checked the all pages options in the Import Options dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Diane,
Yes, that's correct. When I select the all pages option from the Import Options dialog only the first page of the pdf document links into Indesign.
The same thing happens if I select a page range from the Import Options dialog, for example, if I try to bring in pages 1-20 of a pdf only the first page comes in.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

just tested that with a multi-page PDF originially exported from InDesign.

All worked OK for me with InDesign 2022 version 17.2.0.18 which is the latest prerelease version on my Windows 10 machine; the release version is still not available in Germany.

Do you see the issue with all multi-page PDFs or only with that particular one?

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

I have to correct myself.

In my previous tests with InDesign 2022 version 17.2.0.18 I just loaded the cursor with a couple of PDF pages from the same multi-page PDF file and drew out new frames with the loaded cursor to place one page after another. That worked.

What did not work:

If I like to place a multi-page PDF to several graphic frames already on the page I see your issue.

I load the cursor with e.g. 10 pages of the same PDF file, hover the loaded cursor over a graphic frame and click. The result: The first PDF page in my cursor will be placed; all other PDF pages in the cursor will be removed from the cursor.

Also tested with the release version of InDesign 2022 version 17.1.0.50 and cannot see the issue there.

So yes, that's a new bug!

Also see this thread where the same issue was reported:

Place multipage PDF
benr40708230, 27.03.2022
https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/place-multipage-pdf/td-p/12840679

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Laubender,

Yes this the method I prefer to use, having pre-created empty graphic frames on multiple pages which can then be clicked within, placing the next page of the pdf.

This method was working recently, so it is definitely a new bug.

Thanks for confirming this.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2022 Apr 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, this is exactly the issue I'm having. Placing the pages freely or manually drawing a frame for them works fine and I can place multiple files, but placing them into a pre-existing graphic frame will drop all of the other loaded pages and only place the first one.  Thanks for having a look into this, I might see if I can safely roll back to version 17.1 because this is a huge functionality issue for me so until there's a fix, it creates a lot of extra work for me. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

did a bug report for you:

17.2.0.18 Place multi-page PDF pages: Place Gun will be unloaded after first page is placed to a frame
Uwe Laubender, Mar 28, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44963242-17-2-0-18-plac...

Please log in to InDesign UserVoice and vote for fixing the bug.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peter,

here comes a more or less crude work around:

[1] First place the multi-page PDF on InDesign pages automatically using a script like this one:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

[2] Save the InDesign document.
[3] Place the InDesign document pages to your graphic frames instead of the PDF pages of the original PDF.
That still is working with previously drawn out graphic frames.

Just tested that with 17.2.0.18.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Laubender,

This does function as a stop-gap work-around.

There are a few extra steps but it lets me use my established templates with preformated graphic frames.

Best regards,

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2022 Mar 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running ID 17.2 on OSX 12.3 iMac Pro.
I have to place multi page PDFs into indesign templates to be printed and cut. I have never had the problem doing this until Version 2022 came out.
Problem is
I have a base template document which has a frame and other bits required for printing. When I select the PDF document with showing import options, I select all pages which is anything from 3 to 100+ pages. I then place page 1 into the frame, then thats it. InDesign thinks its finished, stops importing, no PG2. If I create a new frame while placing it will then go to PG2, but it will only keep going if I create the frames while placing. As soon as I place one into a pre existing frame, it will stop importing to rest. I've tried new documents, resaved PDFs, different computers and no luck. If I use Indesign 16.4 or earlier I have no problems.

Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try running the script PlaceMultipagePDF.

Screenshot 2022-03-27 at 4.49.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm unable to use that script, as I need to place the PDF pages into a pre exitsing frames.

That script creates its own frame, in the wrong spot.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got exactly the same problem. It started after I updated InDesign to version 17.2. Trashing preferences didn't fix it. Multi-page PDFs will import correctly if creating new frames for each imported page but unfortunately only the first page is imported if trying to place them in pre-existing frames. Frustrating but I can manage with the script until it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The script at https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases is a bit more versatile. It still makes it's own frames, but allows you to have more control over positioning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I found that one, though still doesn't help, when I have to place multible pages from the PDF on to a single page into certian frames, or needing to place in the frame on a single page.

I been seperrating the PDFs into single pages to get around this, or if possible use the old version.

Its a pain.

I tried a fresh install on a new M1 computer, still the same problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of the fixes in 17.2 is 'Unable to place multiple pages of a PDF via custom datalink.' Presumably that broke the feature we need. I think I can adapt to using the MultiPageImporter script instead of my previous method, using frames on master/parent pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

thank you for the detailed description of the issue! Can confirm the bug with InDesign 2022 version 17.2.0.18 on Windows 10, a prerelease version, because the release version is still not available here in Germany:

If I like to place a multi-page PDF to several graphic frames already on the page I see the same issue.

I loaded the cursor with e.g. 10 pages of the same PDF file, hover the loaded cursor over a graphic frame and click. The result: The first PDF page in my cursor will be placed; all other PDF pages in the cursor will be removed from the cursor.

Also tested with the release version of InDesign 2022 version 17.1.0.50 and cannot see the issue there.

That's a new bug!

Please report a bug at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

When done come back and post the link to that report so that everyone can vote for fixing it.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Uwe,

I tried posting on InDesign UserVoice, but keep getting a error when posting. Will try to post on Uservoice again another day.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

did a bug report for you.

Have to wait until the report is processed to post the link here.

Oh wait, the report could be accessed:

17.2.0.18 Place multi-page PDF pages: Place Gun will be unloaded after first page is placed to a frame
Uwe Laubender, Mar 28, 2022
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44963242-17-2-0-18-plac...

Please log in to InDesign UserVoice and vote for fixing the bug.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ben,

here comes a more or less crude work around:

[1] First place the multi-page PDF on InDesign pages automatically using a script like this one:

https://github.com/mike-edel/ID-MultiPageImporter/releases

[2] Save the InDesign document.
[3] Place the InDesign document pages to your graphic frames instead of the PDF pages of the original PDF.
That still is working with previously drawn out graphic frames.

Just tested that with 17.2.0.18.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender
( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,
@peterc95308127 @benr40708230 @telred18,

We are sorry for the trouble. We are able to replicate the issue at our end. The product team has started investigating the issue. I would request you to upvote this UserVoice (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/44963242-17-2-0-18-plac...) if not done already.

In the meantime, you may try the following workaround as suggested by @Laubender until the fix is released:

1. Load multiple PDF pages from a multi-page PDF to the place gun.
  2. Draw out new frames with the loaded cursor to place one page after another

Regards,

Anshul Saini

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a horrible thing to come across after I have been having the most frustrating day.  I'm starting to think that Adobe doesn't check THE MOST BASIC FUNCTIONS of their softwares before rolling out updates.  I literally want to cry right now I'm so exhausted. I hope you're happy.

HOWEVER, since the drawing frames and then going back through to tweak and correct sizes and positions would take a long time I'm pleased to share something else that might help.

Placing into a frame on a parent page negates this workaround.  I made a new layer to use my parent page (that is SO ignorant and offensive that someone thought that was a good name change) as a template for alignment. I loaded to place multipage pdf, click to place the first page, then undo place.  All pages reload to cursor. Now clicking will place all pages of the pdf, in their correct sizes, unless a frame is already present.  Much faster and more accurate than drawing out all page frames. Hope at least this helps some one else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am haivng the same issue with 17.2, it worked fine for years until this now.

Here is a video demonstrating the problem.

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/d2e67a2c-1b0d-49cb-5f71-f54d411963da

Mulitpage PDFs can be placed anywhere in the document without a problem, but as soon as the page is placed in a frame the subsequent pages are unloaded from the cursor.

Please fix this bug ASAP Adobe! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2022 May 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my exact issue. Someone figured out a work around on this specific issue, please point me in the right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines