• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Print on 2nd side upside down

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I print two  pages (front and back), the  back  pages prints upside down.  For example, if I have two pages of "t's" (dumb example I know), I would want them to print like this:

ttttttttttttt

ttttttttttttt

Instead the first page prints correctly tttttttttt,

but the second page prints upside down (the cross is on the bottom (can not flip the "tttttt's" here to show you)

How do I print so it is right side up?   Mirror makes the words print in reverse.

Thanks in advance

Bob

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Nov 04, 2009 Nov 04, 2009

OK, no problem I will try to help the best I can. When you click print, at the bottom of the window that will pop up along the bottom of this there will be buttons to press, if you click on the one which is called 'printer' then select 'layout' you should now be able to choose if you want to choose 2 sided printing, then you will need to choose 'short edge binding'.

hope this helps.

oh just out of interest what peice of software are you using?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This will happen when you are printing on a long or a short edge.

If the document is landscape you will need to print on a short edge

If the document is portrait you will need to print on a long edge.

Hope this helps.

C

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  Not quite sure I understand your answer.  The document is 11 x 17.  I am printing 3 panels landscape on both the front and back (a Tri Fold document).  Not sure what you mean about the short/long edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, no problem I will try to help the best I can. When you click print, at the bottom of the window that will pop up along the bottom of this there will be buttons to press, if you click on the one which is called 'printer' then select 'layout' you should now be able to choose if you want to choose 2 sided printing, then you will need to choose 'short edge binding'.

hope this helps.

oh just out of interest what peice of software are you using?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok this might do it... I will try it asap (right now I have to do some other things but will definetely give it a try)

As to software:  Photoshop CS4, Indesign CS4.  I have been exporting the INDD files to Adobe and printing via Acrobat. I will definetely give it a shot.  One small problem (actually huge).  The system where the printers are attached crashed a couple of days ago.  I had to take it to a shop as I am sure it is hardware.  So I am using PS and  ID on a notebook and will have to Gen in the printers on this notebook to access them.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I just described to you is within indesign CS4. I'm not sure if the same applies through acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2016 Jul 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this advice.  It worked a treat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having trouble printing.  I'm trying to print two pages on one side, duplex with multiple pages. 

I'm using iMac with Epson W2750 printer. 

I have tried multiple ways but yet to find a correct setting.  So far I can print both sides right way up (changing the short/long edge option) but now my pages are printing as follows: 

Page 1.    Blank

New sheet...

Page 3.   Page 2.

Page 5.  Page 4.  etc etc

Previously it was printing

Page 1.  Page 2

Blank.   Blank.

New sheet...

Page 3.  Page 4.

Page 5.  Page 6.  (Upside down)

I'm really struggling to find a way to print

Page 1.  Page 2

Page 3.  Page 4

New sheet...

Page 5.  Page 6.

Page 7. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, flip on long edge is already selected. The problem is, the first page flips on the short edge, while all subsequent pages correctly flip on the long edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This discussion dates back almost 15 years. If you're having a problem, please start a new discussion with full details. I'm locking this to avoid any future confusion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2016 Jan 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Perfect answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you.  This has bothered me for a long time..  that was the fix for me anyways...  

Thanks again...

AnthonyJ. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Different printer drivers describe page flip in different terms, but they all boil down to the same two options, flip on the long edge or flip on the short edge of the sheet. Some also have an automatic or default setting which is probably useless.

When the second side is printing upside down it always means the wrong page flip is selected, and you need to swap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is printing page 2 upside down no matter which option I choose (flip on long edge or flip on short edge).  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 29, 2023 Jun 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like you might have two places to set the page flip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just an FYI - you usually only have the two options of "work and turn" or "work and tumble". If this is a piece going to a commercial printer, you may want to ask how they will be printing it and set your file up that way. A work and turn is when you print one side and turn the paper... left to right to print the second side. A work and tumble is when you print one side and tumble the paper (like a somersault) to print the second. Whenever you have a 2 sided print piece, this little bit of info from your printer can be helpful. Good Luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As always, great advise!  I will probably be able to   try your  thoughts out this afternoon on the  client's printer (as I  mentioned, my printers were all hooked up to the main system which crashed).  Good reason to put them behind a print wireless print server eh?  Think I am going to do just that.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Work and turn" and "work and tumble" describe methods of reducing the number of plates required to print two-sided pieces on a press. If the press sheet is large enough, both the front and back information can be printed together, the the sheet is flipped and the press runs again without the need to change to a second set of plates. You can set up to do this on a digital printer, too (i.e set up a letter sized flier on tabloid sheet, single sided), but there isn't much advantage over simply printing two-up.

As such, they really have nothing to do with duplex print settings, and aren't really of concern to the designer. The printer will set up his sheet to fit the press and decide whether or not to turn or tumble based on grain direction in the sheet, sheet size, and folding requirements.

Peter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These answers are over complicating things. If it's going to a commercial printer, they will set it up however they want. I'm assuming the OP is referring to printing on a laser.

If you are printing on a laser printer, go to command-P, then select the printer button at the bottom. another screen will pop up. By default Copies and Pages will be the third option down. Select that button and navigate down to printer features. The very first item is where you set the 2 sided print options. Head to Head should work. Select that and print. Be sure when you go back to the main screen that the correct paper size is selected. If the back is upside down, go back and choose Head to Foot as your option. One of those will do. Whichever works, save as a preset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have no idea of the final run requirements of the OP - It's just useful information - and is not specifically for commercial printers, though (I think) that I recommended he speak with his printer if this is a commercial job. Remember when you could not duplex on your table top printer?

(I hope you're as old as me!!)

So, it's just info that can come in useful anywhere. If you have front and back imposed on a single plate, you still have to either turn or tumble - be it two up, four up or one - duplex desktop printer or a commercial press. It seems to me that this OP is having to use different printers and who knows if the next printer will allow duplex printing - At least there is some understanding as to what can be done if not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate post

Message was edited by: Kathlene Sage

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He does say "When I print" which implies it's an in-house issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply to the OP was certainly not misleading - just informative - I believe it was appreciated knowledge and 'll leave it at that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Back.  Sorry for the delay, but I was not at home.  Additionally,  I have to leave early tomorrow so I don't know when I will  be able to hook up my printer to this system to try your suggestions. Probably Friday

But to answer a few comments:

I am doing this inhouse on an Epson 1400 inkjet printer.  When I can get both pages to print correctly on the epson, I can send both pages (2 PDF) files to the printer.  I just wanted the client to see what it would like on 11 x 17 landscape (both sides printed correctly).  Printing the second page ontheback of the first page is giving me fits.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh good lord thank you so much cdavis987.  the long edge trick didnt actually work for my specific case - a tri fold brochure where the insides were upside down, but it led me to try the third option, *right* short edge alignment, which did the trick! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines