• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Online QR code not working properly or as it was before.

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2024 Mar 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a QR on the wall for people who could scan it and automatically sends them to our Bulletin for the week. However, the QR no longer directs people to the same link as before. It would be extremely difficult to go around campus and change out every single QR code that is lying around. This happens about once a year I am told

In the past, I was able to update the existing link to the updated bulletin with no problems by selecting File>Publish Online>Update Existing Document>Publish. I even get a confirmation that says "Are you sure you want to update the existing link, with this document?"   But when I go and check the QR code it still sends me to the old one. I am guessing it that the link that is connected to the QR code and the new link that it has published to has changed. Is there anyway to change the link back the old link if that is the case? Also, I have no idea what was used to make the QR code but the person who did think it was made in Adobe, but I do not know for sure. 

Is there anymore information that I can provide to make this issue easier to solve? Is there something that I am missing? Am I doing something wrong? Anything helps, thank you so much. 

TOPICS
Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds to me like the Publish Online file was not updated. Check the Publish Online Dashboard to view all documents to see if there are duplicates. When you update publish online files, you can scroll through list to select the right doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QR codes are not magical, just a string of alphanumeric characters. Since they can't change once generated (and certainly not once printed), if the encoded URL works once, it should work in perpetuity UNLESS the end destination address is changed, or any redirection embedded in the address is changed or discontinued.

If you change the destination, you have to change the code. That simple.

You should be able to read the raw content of the code on most QR code readers if you set it to display the content before acting on it, preferably showing the raw info (and not processed or sorted data). You might have to try a couple of different readers on a couple of different devices to find one that does not insist on "preparing" the data or choosing an app/destination for it.

Once there, just read the code. Is it the URL you want? Fine. Does it not match the destination any more? Change either the URL/address of the destination or the QR code. That's all there is to it.

As for the PO element here, I am not sure Adobe guarantees updated pages will be given the same raw URL. You might want to use a redirection page on a website you control to insert a controllable option — that is, your QR code will always point to the same fixed redirect page, but you can update that page to point to any updated final page. DON'T use any kind of pay service for this. You don't need to.

â•Ÿ Word & InDesign to Kindle & EPUB: a Guide to Pro Results (Amazon) â•¢

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What's the link it goes to? Do you control the URL?

I mean is the QR code going to InDesign Publish Online

or is it going to say www dot your website? 

It sounds like it was fixed before - so it's likely that your IT department is controlling the URL that it goes to. 

If that's the case - then they need to redirect to the new bulletin. 

Or give you access to update this. 

It's hard to know without knowing how it's all setup - where the URL is going - how it's published - and what's happening in the background of the QR code. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines