• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

"SHIFT" key to scale when resizing doesn't work in InDesign CC2017

Community Beginner ,
Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated my Adobe CC programs to the 2017 versions. Now, when I hold the "Shift" key to fix the dimensions of an image when I am scaling it in InDesign it doesn't work. It works in my Illustrator and Photoshop programs...the only program it does NOT work in is InDesign. Someone please help! (and no, not by using the scaling buttons in the top function bar. I want someone to advise me on how to fix this so I can use the "Shift" key again)

Thank you!

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Dec 16, 2016 Dec 16, 2016

I closed all my programs to update them to the 2017 versions and when I opened them this "shift" key issue popped up.

BUT I found the answer...apparently I needed to shut down my whole computer. Now that I have done that, the "shift" key function works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you be a little more specific in exactly what you are doing?

Are you scaling images as you place them or scaling image or other things already on the page.

Run through all your steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I place the image (command+d), then as elements are added to the page if I need to re-size an image, I used to hold down the "shift" key and drag a corner of the image box inwards or outwards depending on if it needed to be bigger or smaller. That kept the proportions of the image box the same.

Now, I press command+d to place an image. After it has been placed, if I hold the "shift" key when re-sizing the placed image box, it does nothing. The dimensions of the image box will not stay at a fixed proportion. I have tried holding command+shift and option+shift while moving the image box corner, and nothing works. The only way I can keep fixed dimensions now is by using the "constrain proportions" function (manually entering sizes to make the image box change) in my top control bar.

Not to mention, when rotating a placed image box, if I held the "shift" key it would make it rotate in increments of 45 degrees. Now Holding the "shift" key doesn't do that.

It used to be so simple! I don't know what happened. I am doing the same thing that I have always done, but now it doesn't work. The only thing that changed was the version of InDesign. Is it some bug that they need to issue an update for?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing has changed in InDesign CC 2017 so it's your copy of InDesign or some conflicting software which is keeping your Shift key from working.

Two things to try:

(1) Restore your InDesign preferences:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

(2) If that doesn't work, reboot your computer. Launch InDesign first before any other application and try again. If it works, it means that some third party software (perhaps a Chrome plug-in or virus software or something else is conflicting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I closed all my programs to update them to the 2017 versions and when I opened them this "shift" key issue popped up.

BUT I found the answer...apparently I needed to shut down my whole computer. Now that I have done that, the "shift" key function works just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines