• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RE: Missing buttons when publishing to Interactive PDF - possible bug?

Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2012 Jun 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

Still having the following problem posted last month - has anyone else encountered this:

I'm trying to create a 12 page interactive PDF with a set of 12 buttons (set in the master page) at the bottom of page that relates to each page. When clicked the button should you directly to that page.

I have used this method many times before in CS5 using Go to destination in Buttons and setting each page as a destination. It normally works great.

However, in CS6, once I export to interactive PDF and open in Acrobat Pro the buttons all seem to disappear once you click on the 3rd or 4th page button.

I have stripped the indesign doc back to include no other content - just the buttons, with no rollover effects etc but I am still having the same problem

Please can anyone help? I can supply the relevant indesign doc and exported PDF if it helps.

UPDATE: One forum member suggested trying to open it in Acrobat Reader instead and it worked fine. This is OK to a point but I really need it opening in Acrobat Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

This is a known issue and should be fixed in upcoming dot releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2012 Jun 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a known issue and should be fixed in upcoming dot releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 14, 2012 Jun 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks - this was the answer I was looking for!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2012 Aug 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sagar-Khanna,

I'm having issues with Indesign CS6 where: 1) the interactive links break in the interactive pdf while the Indd files are set correctly. 2) Sometimes the interactive links break within Ind CS6 itself and I have to re-fix.

It also may appear that when transferring Indd CS6 files across FTPs etc, the links break in the Indesign CS6 files thus we have to reset them.

With point 1, when we create an interactive pdf some links work in the pddf and some don’t but when we recreate the interactive pdf some buttons that were working are not and some buttons that were not work are now working.

Could you tell me if all the above are bugs or are there some fixes available.

Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2012 Aug 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone know if this issue has been resolved yet?

I have an interactive PDF with a pop up menu. Menu populates fine in preview within InDesign. As soon as I output to interactive PDF, when I click on the button to activate the pop up menu, all of the menu items disappear.

Help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forget the preview panel in ID.

It’s for SWF only and in fact as been renamed SFW Preview in CS6.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok - what am I doing wrong, then? I can't share screenshots because the information that I'm producing the PDF for is propriatary, but I will try to describe:

I have a 55 page document. I am trying to create a pop up TOC that is activated via a button on the bottom of the document. All of hte elements of the popup TOC are in individual text frames and each has been turned into a button that links to the correct part of the document.

The button is set as "show and hide form". The visibility has eyeballs next to all of the elements I want to trigger on when clicked. It's set to hide until triggered, and set to not print.

When I output to PDF, only the button that doesn't have additional actions on it shows up in output (it's the background for the TOC). The rest of the buttons, all of which have additional actions on them (the individual buttons are set to go to specific places in the document. The close button is set to hide all elements of the menu), simply do not show up.

What am I doing wrong...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2012 Aug 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you exporting the pdf. Are you exporting to an interactive pdf, or are you printing to a pdf?

My issues is not 100% solved, where links break within the Indesign files and final pdfs have some buttons working and some buttons not working.

Our solution is maybe to add a disclaimer on the front cover explaining that parts of the interactive button may not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just encountered this exact problem today. I've only had CS6 for about a week and never imagined there might be an issue with interactive PDFs since CS5 worked so well. In fact, I had heard that the interactive PDF functions had been improved. Very disappointing!

I did discover a workaround. I saved my CS6 doc back to an .idml version and opened that in CS5. Without changing a thing, I simply exported to an interactive PDF from CS5 and all the buttons/links appeared as they should and functioned as planned. Glad I left my CS5 version in place for awhile.

This is clearly a bug and I would hope it gets fixed very soon. Otherwise, I'm back to using CS5 full time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2016 Apr 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2016...has this been fixed yet?

I still have buttons not hiding and showing up on different pages.

Please help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign? What operating system? How are you viewing the PDF?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign CS6, Adobe Acrobat X.

I mean, it works 100% as SWF. But only 90% in Acrobat. Same file, just different output files.

I have buttons with multiple functions, i.e. showing/hiding, go to destination, as well as go to hyperlinks - they work 100%

But there are a few, that have no other purpose but to show/hide, that do so at the wrong times.

Very frustrating, as my project is due next week, and all I can supply is a flash file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CS6 has reached EOL. Even if there were bugs they won’t be fixed.

I’ve not run into this myself but you could try downloading the CC2015 trial to see if it’s fixed there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2016 May 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

СС2015.3 Release but this issue is still exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a similar issue. However, my buttons only disappear after the PDF is secured within Acrobat X. If I export my InDesign document as a secured interactive PDF, then the problem does not occur and the buttons are retained. But this is not an ideal outcome for my needs as I still need to create a button within Acrobat and once the document is re-secured, my other buttons diappear.

I have also tried viewing the PDF in Adobe reader, and the buttons don't show up there either. So, a definite bug and one that I would look forward to having fixed when the update is created.

Not sure why Adobe opted to add a new feature of 'interactive PDF' when the old method was working just fine. It also provided access to many more options.

Hope this is fixed soon, anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I doubt that it was the choice the separate out PDF (Print) and PDF (Interactive) had anything to do with the bug. The separation occurred with InDesign CS5. I do agree with you; it was fixing something which wasn't broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad someone else is having this problem with CS6. We have a large number of interactive books and it's impossible to output anything with Indesign crashing, or outputting documents with missing buttons. However, I think I have a solution for the missing butttons that appears to sporadically work - either just save the document as something else, or open up the form editing panel and wait - or even make some comments - and strangely, the hidden buttons do reappear...

Adobe Man, please get this fix it's such a nuisance for us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks donsimone. Tried your suggestion and didn't work. I'm going to try something else and report back if it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear that, I've just tested the save as solution and all my buttons reappeared. So I thought I was on to something...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to InDesign CS6 8.01 and my probloem has disappeared. I'm assuming the update has fixed this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 02, 2012 Oct 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, your problem was one of the bugs which was fixed in the 8.01 update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 10, 2012 Dec 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have InDesign 8.0.1 on PC and have the same problem... menu, next-page and previous-page buttons in the Master page.  They work fine exporting to SWF but not at all exporting to interactive PDF (in Acrobat Professional or Reader X).  They always appear in the document, but are not interactive.  I can't work out whether I'm doing something wrong or the bug fix hasn't really happened yet?  Please help - this is hurting my head and my business.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update completely fixed the problem on my Mac version. My current version reads "8.0.1.406" so you might just check to be sure you have the most recent update. The only other thing I can suggest is that you take a look at the options specified in the export dialog after you select "Adobe PDF (Interactive)" (which is a selection at the bottom of the first export dialog box). There's a radio button about 2/3 of the way down for "Forms and Media" be sure you've selected "Include All". Beyond that, I guess I'd look at how you're creating the buttons.

Sorry I can't be more help, it's very frustrating. Before it was fixed I had to save my docs to an ".idml" file and reopen them with CS5, then export them as an interactive PDF. Which worked, but was a PITA.

Best,

Tim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2012 Dec 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much Tim - the problem was me being a muppet... I didn't have "Include All" selected as you suggested.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 8.01 too, on PC and my problem disappeared after the update. May be worth checking, also, that you have the latest update to Acrobat X. My version is 10.1.4.

Other than that, I would probably suggest re-installing the update if possible.

Rick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines