• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Resolution too low when exporting PDFs from InDesign CS5.5

New Here ,
Jan 22, 2021 Jan 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, when I export PDFs from InDesign CS5.5, the resolution seems to be too low, as in the attached PDF. Exports always worked fine before my current project -- to print greeting cards with Moo.com, they need me to export using PDF/X-1a:2001, which I don't usually use. 

No matter what settings I use for compression during the export process (such as using 450 or 550 dpi, having it not downsample the images, etc.), after I upload the PDF to Moo, they say the size is 1055x1500. Since that is less than 300dpi and much less than the original size of my images, I'd like to find a way to keep a higher resolution if possible.

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks, Ryan

www.RyanBushPhotography.com

TOPICS
Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OS version?

Check the Effective PPI resolution in the InDesign Links panel, it shouldn't be below 200PPI.

If you have a transparency in your image try PDF/X-4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

they say the size is 1055x1500. Since that is less than 300dpi

This is not the same thing: 1055x1500 is the definition of the image (the number of pixels) and it is irrelevant to say it is less than 300 dpi, which is the resolution. 

I opened your PDF in Acrobat and ran a preflight: it states that your image is at 300.267 ppi (which is the right term, instead of dpi) so all is OK

Capture d’écran 2021-01-22 à 23.45.59.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your image looks fine to me too. 

1055x1500 ppi @ 300 PPI 

= 1055/300 = 3.5 inches

= 1500/300 = 5 inches

Your image output size is 3.5 inches x 5 inches.

they need me to export using PDF/X-1a:2001, which I don't usually use. 

No matter what settings I use for compression during the export process (such as using 450 or 550 dpi, having it not downsample the images, etc.), after I upload the PDF to Moo, they say the size is 1055x1500.

The compression setting if you look closely only says

1. 'downsample to xxx ppi'
  2. 'for images above xxx ppi'

Meaning only images that above the threshold of point 2.

Change this setting to 

1. 300
  2. 300

And PDF x1a will flatten your file - no problem - and if that's their requirement there's nothing you can do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your responses, everyone, I really appreciate it!

I'm glad the image is 300 PPI in the PDF, but still don't understand why Moo says it is still 1055x1500px even when I use higher compression settings. I think I'll upload higher resolution versions just in case, but am glad it'll be at least 300 PPI.

Thank you for the other pointers, it helps to know how to check the effective resolution in the Links panel, look for details in the preflight, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am sorry to insist but you confuse definition and resolution. Definition is the number of pixels, resolution is how they are distributed in one inch or one centimeter. In my exemples below, you can see 2 different files: one is at 300 pixels per inch and the other one is at 72 ppi, but both measure 1055 px x 1500.

Capture d’écran 2021-01-25 à 22.50.01.jpg 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for reminding me, I know the difference but between severe chronic back pain and massive all-day headaches, I don't always express things correctly. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but still don't understand why Moo says it is still 1055x1500px

Is Moo actually telling you to increase the pixel dimensions, or are they simply giving you a report on the file specs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The pixel dimensions are from Moo's report on the file specs. I went ahead and ordered the cards, so I'm all set everyone. Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines