• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Responsive output (automatically resizing for PC, laptop, iPad, phone) from InDesign Textbook

Engaged ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am creating a textbook in InDesign. It is free, online, and covered by a Creative Commons license. Currently, I'm publishing PDFs designed to be printed and then read, with a two-column primary text frame to make the printed line length short for readability.

But PDFs suck for reading online, particularly if you're trying to do so on a tablet or your phone. Plain-vanilla HTML is not too bad for this, but then there are problems dealing with graphics, cross-references, footnotes, sidebars and the like. "Publish online," in my mind, is inferior to posting a PDF.

I considered trying to make a Kindle book, but that's no good for something free, online and under a Creative Commons license. Other eBook formats are not so widely used.

WordPress is not bad for this, if you use a theme or an add-on that mobilizes the site. This is especially so as WordPress makes it easy to change big graphics to small thumbnails. Clicking on these thumbnails lets you see the graphic full-size, which may be needed for big textbook illustrations.

I suppose I could copy the text into WordPress, with each section being a page or post, and pasting in the graphics. However, this loses some InDesign features such as cross-references and the like. And it's a lot of work. And it's a lot more work to keep up to date as I update the original document.

Now that In5 is including a responsive-design output/layout, I am thinking about doing In5. However, there is still the problem of viewing graphics on a phone, especially some of the full-page graphics that will require zooming and panning on a phone or small tablet.

I would be very interested to hear some opinions from the experts on this forum who have been so helpful to me and others in other posts.

Basket Hitch from AppSAR-8-Nontechnical-and-Semi-Tech-Evacs.jpg

 

TOPICS
EPUB , Publish online

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

As you've outlined, there's no perfect soloution, each format has its advatages and disadvatages. Some publishers offer their books in several formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 14, 2020 Aug 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As you've outlined, there's no perfect soloution, each format has its advatages and disadvatages. Some publishers offer their books in several formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines