• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Saving options on InDesign 19.4 not working

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2024 Apr 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried to save an .indd file I edited in Adobe InDesign but instead I got a cursor turn to a beachball symbol whenever I try to save the InDesign file (also on "Save As" and "Save New"). After a minute with the beachball, it disappears and resumes editing in InDesign without saving. Working on my personal MacBook Pro mid 2019, with Sonoma 14.4.1

I’ve done the following suggestions but to no avail:

1. Restarted laptop - not working
  2. Cleared app cache and InDesign presences and restarted app - not working
  3. Uninstalled app, restarted, reinstalled app - negative

All the solutions I tried haven't worked. Is there something wrong with InDesign ver 19.4 for Mac? Do I need to clear/delete a folder?

TOPICS
Bug , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it happen with all files or only specific ones?

you said: After a minute with the beachball, it disappears and resumes editing in InDesign without saving.

does "resumes editing in InDesign without saving" mean that you can continue editing but the changes are not saved when you close the file?

also, I read reports that changing font weight of a variable fonts results in disabling saving abilities in InDesign (that is, file can't be saved). can it be related to your case somehow?

are you files on your hard drive, or a network, or cloud service?

and lastly, does the problem go away if you revert to InDesign 19.3 (you can do so from Creative Cloud app):

leor_0-1714367792016.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

does it happen with all files or only specific ones?

Was happening to all my InDesign files.

you said: After a minute with the beachball, it disappears and resumes editing in InDesign without saving.

does "resumes editing in InDesign without saving" mean that you can continue editing but the changes are not saved when you close the file?

Yes, it just resume editing without saving it at all

also, I read reports that changing font weight of a variable fonts results in disabling saving abilities in InDesign (that is, file can't be saved). can it be related to your case somehow?

I haven't even started editing when I tried to save a new version. Same with the other InDesign files (from different projects) I have on my laptop. So I don't think it's related to fonts.

are you files on your hard drive, or a network, or cloud service?
On my laptop hard drive - not online

and lastly, does the problem go away if you revert to InDesign 19.3 (you can do so from Creative Cloud app):
I reverted back to InDesign 19.2. Currently testing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted back to InDesign 19.2. Currently testing

By @MidniteFox03

ok keep us updated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can edit on 19.2 and was able to save. But the "Save As" would still give me the same issue, as well as "Open" sometimes. Overal it seems slower when selecting these options.

Not sure what is affecting my InDesign in general.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

try to create a clean new user account in System Settings and work from there - will it make a difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a document is not behaving well then try 

File>Export 

Choose IDML

Open the IDML in InDesign
Save the file as a new InDesign file with a new name
See if the issue persists.

----

Try resetting your preferences:

Windows: Start InDesign, and then press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
macOS: While pressing Shift+Option+Command+Control, start InDesign. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.
A dialog will appear asking to delete the InDesign Preferences, select 'Yes' on this dialog.
Further info and instructions here if needed:
https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/kb/indesign-preferences-support-file-locations.html

-----

Reinstalling rarely fixes everything - you can do a complete reinstall using the
Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already cleared the Preferences and cache and then uninstall/reintall InDesign 19.4 before posting on the community board.

I havnen't tried the Export. I was about to today but even opening a file after opening InDesign 19.4 this evening, the app was stalling! Had to force quit.

I ended up reverting back to an older version (19.2) and currently testing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As per my link info - reinstalling rarely fixes anything.

I posted a link to the creative cloud cleaner app -  have you tried this?

Plus the links I provided show more indepths ways that you may or may not have tried.

Hard to know exactly what you tried - so those are my standard replies to see if we can get you up and running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found your responses from another post so I did try clearing the cache & preferences before posting.

I did start up in Safe Mode to see if InDesign would act better: it did after running a few tests. I then restarted normally and now it "seems" to be working. It would give me issues after I woke it up from sleep/closed so it could be the OS?

I'm currently doing a Time Machine backup of my laptop. If I continue to get issues with InDesign I'll do a clean restore of my laptop. I did find other users having issues with InDesign 19.4 but could be related to Sonoma 14.4 update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He/she writes that it happens to all documents. So it can't be because of a single document.

Cache and preferences have also already been deleted.

Try disabling all network volumes so that you can disable all network services. So deactivate LAN, deactivate WLAN. If the fonts are enabled via Adobe Cloud, simply ignore them. If the fonts are activated via Document fonts, simply briefly rename this folder. The indesign document could look wrong now, but it doesn't matter. It's about knowing if the problem persists.

If the problem no longer exists. The problem must be with the network connection or the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of people think they have deleted/restored preferences and actually transpires they have not done it correctly or using different methods etc. can yield better results.

That's why I'm asking for the OP to respond with definitive things they have tried.

I have seen far too often with people saying they have tried this and that - and turns out they didn't.

That's why I ask.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 30, 2024 Apr 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Prior to having issues with InDesign, I did have a wierd issue with my iCloud a few weeks ago; I ended up reinstalling the MacBook Pro's OS (problems like iCloud files weren't syncing/syncing slow, couldn't access iCloud from system settings, Finder was stalling everytime I was trying to access any iCloud folders or links). I was using Slack earlier today after doing the InDesign testing (of the Save As and Open funtions) and I also had the app idle while trying to download a file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines