• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Searchable text from pdf imported into InDesign

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working on a very large technical manual in InDesign. For the vast majority of the pages, I import pdfs with technical drawings and specifications my R&D department creates in AutoCAD. I need the text specifications to be searchable in the final document, but can't figure out how to do this.

The text is searchable when I open the pdfs independently, but once they are placed in InDesign, search function is lost. I've tried altering the Import Options, but still no luck.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

You're correct. Placed PDF files are just "images" essentially. They are not searchable, and you cannot click on hyperlinks or other interactivity within them. It's just the way it is. You have to open the link to the "real" PDF to search them, as you have found.

Somewhat of a workaround: Put all your linked PDFs into a folder. In Acrobat, you can use the Advanced Search feature (Edit > Advanced Search) and choose to search the folder of PDF files you have placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're correct. Placed PDF files are just "images" essentially. They are not searchable, and you cannot click on hyperlinks or other interactivity within them. It's just the way it is. You have to open the link to the "real" PDF to search them, as you have found.

Somewhat of a workaround: Put all your linked PDFs into a folder. In Acrobat, you can use the Advanced Search feature (Edit > Advanced Search) and choose to search the folder of PDF files you have placed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shoot. That's what I figured, but the R&D team kept telling me there had to be a way ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

See my workaround which I just added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines