• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

selecting all footnotes in one go

New Here ,
Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have got a large document with over a thousand footnotes in it. When I imported it from Word the footnotes can through in the same paragraph style as the main text (Despite being different styles in Word). I want to apply a different paragraph style to the footnotes. At the moment I am going through, selecting them one by one. Is there an easier way to do this? I want to select them all in one go and change their paragraph style in one click. Grateful for any advice.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Oct 08, 2017 Oct 08, 2017

Does InDesign treats your footnotes as footnotes? That said, can you search for Footnote Reference Markers? In Find/Change dialog, search for ^F in Text tab, or ~F in Grep.

To apply formatting to the footnote itself you could use grep ^~F, and apply your 'footnote' paragraph style to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does InDesign treats your footnotes as footnotes? That said, can you search for Footnote Reference Markers? In Find/Change dialog, search for ^F in Text tab, or ~F in Grep.

To apply formatting to the footnote itself you could use grep ^~F, and apply your 'footnote' paragraph style to it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to help. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think you can also change your Type-Document footnote options and add your "footnote style" there...

That should also work when you import a new word file with footnotes. Currently they must be coming in the same style as body text because in the Document footnote options "main body text" style must be selected for the footnote style

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 09, 2017 Oct 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Aman is totally right! …

About Winterm's Grep code, it will fail if the footnote includes several paras!

Use this instead:

(?s)^~F.+

Be careful if note calls at the beginning of a para!

Use this instead:

\A(?s)^~F.+

… But this will catch the first note call of a story too! 

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 19, 2018 Mar 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2022 Dec 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2023 Jul 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Тhank you so much! This was soooo helpful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to go the other way. InDesign does not export to Kindle's MOBI format. So, a person has to use Kindle Create. Unfortunately they do not read InDesign documents. The suggested work-around is to export to PDF and then from PDF to Word. When working to format in Word, it recognizes none of the endnote numbers so it is impossible to convert them to hyperlinks for the Kindle or Epub format. Is there a way, number 1, to have either Acrobat or Word recognize the numbers so that I can transform them? I would seem that Adobe would be well served by upgrading InDesign to be able to do this direct. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 05, 2020 Oct 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi The_Moose_Is_Loose,

seems your issue is very different to the one discussed above.
I'd suggest you to create a new thread here in the forum.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines