Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Several tags for long URLS

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2021 Jun 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I've used InDesigns "New hyperlink from URL" function to create hyperlinks in a reference list. Many of the URLs are long and break over several lines. They show up with green dots in InDesign's Hyperlinks panel, and when exported to interactive PDF, Acrobat and Mac's Preview reads them fine. However, in the Tags panel, the long links look broken into several Link OBJR and Span elements. Will this be an issue for accessibility?

Screenshot 2021-06-19 at 12.36.17.pngScreenshot 2021-06-19 at 12.36.06.png

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 25, 2021 Jun 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have insight to share about this? Maybe I put it in the wrong forum and it's more about Acrobat...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that has been happening since forever in InDesign. And it's a problem with the export converter: same problem happens when using PDF Maker from Word. Therefore, it probably is an error in InDesign's export utility and Adobe's PDF Maker, which are developed by a separate engineering team at Adobe.

The entire URL should be in the <Link> Tag with one <Link - OBJR> sub-tag , not 2 or more <Link - OBJR> sub-tags.

Multiple <Link - OBJR> subtags can affect accessibility in some assistive technologies, and also when the content is migrated to different technologies, such as HTML, XML, EPUB, etc. or when the content reflowed.

Having it tagged based on the lines of text as they appear in InDesign is not helpful.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this user bug report at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39062443-multiple-text-...

And VOTE to have it corrected!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2021 Jun 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, Bevi! This is very helpful, and I will vote for the bug report. Is there anything I can do about this? Can I fix the tags in Acrobat? There aren't so many in this case, so it would be possible to do it manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use Acrobat's regular tools to delete the hyperlink (that's the <Link> tag itself and all of its <Link-OBJR> sub-tags).

Then select the link, right-click, and select Create Link. This process will tag it correctly.

Make-Links.png

Hyperlink-Multi-line_01.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks! Deleting the link works, and adding a new link does too, but nothing happens in the tag tree when I create the new link. The newly added link works, i.e. I can click it, but whatever was in the tag tree before adding it is still there and nothing new is added.

I found some instructions to touch up reading order, but I can't make it work when the URL starts mid-line, i.e. can't be captured in a rectangle, like in my screenshot in the original post.

If there are any other tricks to try, I'd be super grateful!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines