Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Space BEFORE CHAR

Participant ,
Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends!

I am trying to create a CHAR style based on a formatted character in my doc. But I want wherever this style is applied to add a larger space *before* the char getting that style. I tried playing with the kerning metric but this adjusts the space *after* the char. Am I missing something?

Thank You

Susan

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

@Susan Flamingo you should assign the character format with the spacing "the character in front of the desired character". That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 08, 2021 Mar 08, 2021

for example for character "a"

• "without" paragraph style

space_before_char_01.png

• with paragraph style 

space_before_char_02.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is a regular char: A

This is the formatted style:     A  (bigger space before char "A")

I know how to do this manually but I want it as a style for the char  "A"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you actuall mean the letter A, or is it an exemple? That can be done with a GREP style, but we need to know exactly the conditions to give you an accurate answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, not necessarily the letter A. I just want that ANY Chr that I format with this style will have a larger space before it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Susan Flamingo you should assign the character format with the spacing "the character in front of the desired character". That's all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not see how it can be automatized unless if you know what character will precede the space, then it would be easy to assign a style to the space. But I am curious to know why you need to get a larger space…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for example for character "a"

• "without" paragraph style

space_before_char_01.png

• with paragraph style 

space_before_char_02.png

 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Outside of doing a GREP search-and-replace after the fact to find all instances of your applied Character style and add either an extra space before it (or, better, change to a larger space (like an EM or EN space), I don't see any easier way for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Susan,

as far as I know in the old InDesign CS3 version 5 one could save a kerning value with a character style.

That feature was abandoned with CS4 or CS5 I think. However I have some InDesign snippet files (*.idms) from that time that come with that feature. So if you can tell what kerning value you need I could offer a snippet that when imported will add the appropriate character style to your document.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines