• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Style "based on" another doesn't inherit Export Tag settings

Engaged ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When a paragraph style (or character style) is created that is based on an existing one, all the attributes carry over from the base style as they should... except Export Tagging. That is annoying. Is there a setting or something that could solve that, or is it a bug?

Explanation: I design a magazine that I then export to HTML for easy use  to create online articles for the magazine's website. That seems likely to be a normal thing magazine publishers would do. I have standard paragraph and character styles, and then when I want a distintive look to individual articles (most commonly headings and subheadings, but sometimes other stuff), I'll create a new style based on the standard one and then vary things like color and/or font, like this:

ID custom heading.png

But when I look at the export tags, all the custom styles have Tag="[Automatic]" and Include In HTML checked, rather than reflecting the settings of their base style. Note in the following screenshot all the headings and subheadings with author names in front - shouldn't they have the same settings as "Article heading" and "Article subheading" on which they are based?

ID export tags not following base.png

TOPICS
Bug , How to , Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OsakaWebbie said:
"When a paragraph style (or character style) is created that is based on an existing one, all the attributes carry over from the base style as they should... except Export Tagging. …"

Would it help to first duplicate the style and then care for dependencies like "based on"?

With my German InDesign 2021 on Windows 10 this is working.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that does appear to work. And in the use case I described, that would probably be a reasonable workaround, because I rarely change the base style and the custom styles are deleted between each magazine issue. It's a couple more steps (I usually make the new style from content with overrides), but I'll try to modify my workflow to do it that way. Thank you.

But in general that is not a solution, because duplicating is not the same as basing one style on another. If one is based on another and an attribute that is in common between them is changed in the base style, it changes in the derivative style as well, which can be very helpful. This little issue seems like a bug, an oversight in the code for creating/maintaining derivative styles.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, yes, this is a bug!

Should be reported, if it isn't already, at InDesign UserVoice:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, thanks for confirming that at least two of us think it's a bug. I just now reported it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/43220673-style-based-on...

Feel free to vote! 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Voted!

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines