Exit

Styles and overrides

Participant ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Friends!

I have a PP style that is formatted with font A

I have a char style that I use on certain pieces of text within that PP.

Sometimes I format some string of text wrong.

I want to reset to just the style that is defined by the PP, and the char to font A.

If I select the wrongly formatted text re-apply the PP style to that text, nothing happens (obviously because there is some CHAR formatting overriding).

If I choose "apply [PP style] clear: "overrides",  "char style",  "all", *it clears all instances of text with that char styles in the entire PP* even if that text is not selected.

How can I clear the overrides *but only in the selected text?*

Thank to all!

Susan

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Run a find-change. In my exemple I use New Aster with New Aster Bold applied locally, and I have a “ bold” character style which is not used.

Capture d’écran 2021-03-11 à 18.51.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried Option Clicking the Paragraph Style? Here I’ve changed the color of a range of text with the Red Characters character style applied. If I select one of the words in the overriden text, both the Paragraph and Character styles show the + override:

Screen Shot 5.png

If I Option Click the Character Style, the overrides for the selection are removed, but the other text with its Character Style overridden is not changed:

Screen Shot 7.png

If I Option Click the Text paragraph style, all the text with the Red Characters character style gets its overrides removed:

Screen Shot 8.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Option in PC lanuage is_________? I did ALT apply lost all other instances of formatting. CTRL apply does nothing

But in my case, I don't have a separate CHAR style like you example. What I have is PP style and an override by applying manually BOLD to the string of chars. If I clear all overrides the bold applied elsewhere goes away (which I don't want...

I noticed that this "problem" only occurs in other instances of text with BOLD applied in the same PP. If they are in a different PP it has no effect on them. Annoying indeed... Hey dood don't mess with my text alone if it isn't selected!!:)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But in my case, I don't have a separate CHAR style like you example

You’ll need to use Character Styles if you want to control the overrides. You might consider setting up a bold Character Style and use find and change to apply the bold Character Style to the instances of bold text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here you can see there is no override to the Text Paragraph Style even though I haveselected a range of mixed text. That’s because I’m using character styles:

Screen Shot 9.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, if I must. But Can I trouble you to walk me through this:

1. Find any text that is font BLAH and bold

2. Replace with same text formatted with chr style blahblah.

I know how to do this in Word, but nt in ID, yet 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Run a find-change. In my exemple I use New Aster with New Aster Bold applied locally, and I have a “ bold” character style which is not used.

Capture d’écran 2021-03-11 à 18.51.57.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hurray  ! It worked. Merce Berque...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines