• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

synchronizing book clears some style overrides

Contributor ,
Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

specifically x/y coordinates in objects.  

I tried synchronizing while having the documents open, and closed, and it happens either way.

TOPICS
Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2021 Feb 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucy,

can you be more specific?

What did you expect?
What exactly went wrong?

What's your exact version of InDesign?
On what operating system?

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use object style with an X/Y coordinate since I want the object (specific text box) in the same spot about 50% of the time.

However when I synchronize the book all of the objects with that style that have been manually moved (the other 50%) snap to their default position set by the object style sheet (creating a big mess). This is not just one object style, I have several.  

Basically, the goal is to be able to synchronize the book while keeping all the overrides.  This should be possible, no? 

I am on cc20, High Sierra. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 15, 2021 Feb 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lucy,

"Basically, the goal is to be able to synchronize the book while keeping all the overrides. This should be possible, no?"

But this would mean: Do not synchronize at all. You cannot simply synchronize only parts of an object style. Either all properties that are defined within that style will be synchronized or you must not synch.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then why is it possible to keep the overrides on text when syncing?  Such as italics etc?  (that do not have a character style on them) 

I want to change/sync everything about these object styles, *except* for the thing that has been manually adjusted for the few boxes. (like the italic, or, the x/y coordinate on the object.) The fact that I am synching all the attributes of the style shouldn't get rid of the manual override that I forced on n individual object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with @Laubender's answer and want to point out that you can still sync the book—but not the object styles if that is helpful—by using Synchronize Options and not just Synchronize Book or Synchronize Selected Documents. 

~Barb 

sync.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Then why is it possible to keep the overrides on text when syncing?"

Could be a bug. Found this bug report on synching object styles where in the comments someone mentioned the issue:

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/34178191-book-sync-obje...

Please vote for fixing the issue. And perhaps do a new bug report as well.

A more specific one about clearing overrides while synching object styles using a book file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I will.  

I just did more testing and all the other overrides to object styles hold, like the stroke, color etc.  It's just the X/Y issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lucy,

could you provide some sample files?
Just one book file and two InDesign documents organized with the book file.

A minimum sample.

If yes, put in on Dropbox or a similar service and post the download link.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines